Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft Bashing  (Read 4436 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
Re: Microsoft Bashing
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 24, 2004, 08:39:23 PM »

Star69 wrote:

dbalaski wrote:

I am by no means a lover of their practices (nor their code). But i use it because it is a standard that is greatly in use. Fact is fact. I don't like the code being such bloated and full of security holes.  

What I really don't like is the world adopting their general coding style -- bloat-ware ..

I fully agree, I tried XP on my machine at the same time I upgraded to 2k (a requestor popped up after post asking which os I wanted which was pretty cool), but XP ran so much slower than necessary = bloatware - filled with unneeded cr@p code that if they had thought about it long and hard, ergo lowering profit margins, they could have made it much better.  It seems like M$ write the code with no streamlining in mind at all, as if thinking "hey, were microsoft - let the hardware catch up with us"

p.s. XP is a cartoon os  :-)

Select the Silver theme instead the toy theme.  Anyway, Windows XP MCE 2005 has Royale as its default theme.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »

KD7HTH wrote:
Microsoft Corp. may have the world-wide market cornered in the cutting edge of consumer and business automation applications. Some would say MS is a monopoly. Well, if that is the case then at least MS is an AMERICAN monopoly and anyone living in America should be at least thankful in that respect.

Microsoft’s dominance is nothing new i.e.  they have been doing it since yesteryears 8bit PCs via Microsoft BasicOS (crude OS for 8bit PCs). This includes Commodore PET/VIC-20/C64/C128/C-whatever, Apple II, MSX (Japan Inc) and 'etc'.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 09:09:04 PM »

dbalaski wrote:
(SNIP)
What I really don't like is the world adopting their general coding style -- bloat-ware ..  
I mean really,   Compare  XP requirements and performance -- then look what you can do with Unix (and its variants) on lesser hardware.  

Both SUSE Linux 9.1 Pro and Windows XP Home/Pro desire comparable hardware performance.  You can't compare a cut down *inx to desktopOS i.e. one has to factor in Windows XP Embedded Edition or Windows CE5.0 with XP extensions (ability to XP applications on Windows CE 5.0).

Windows XP desktop runs fine IF you give it enough memory i.e. 256MB atleast.  

Problem I see is that people forget the streamline approach in favor of upping the hardware. Again,  the problem comes that they are becoming the monolithic in their approach.  

Personally -- I think they are about ready to cut their own throat if what I read about longhorn is true ..  I think microsoft is going to be faced with a lot of non-corporate defections.   I used to say  Unix on a desktop  wouldn't fly,  but watching the problems people go thru with  nt/2k/xp  really makes Unix/linix look like a viable option.
(Aros on intel also  ;)   )

Note, both Windows and Linux are growing due to X86/X64 bandwagon.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 09:23:02 PM »
I'm more ticked off at the functionality of Office rather than the monopolization. Creating documents in Word is an interface nightmare. I just use Wordpad if I need something more flashy than plain text. Word is overkill for most stuff, and I don't understand what anyone sees in Excel and PowerPoint.

Documentation automation and knowledgebase systems i.e. business rules customisation via VBA(an example). There’s an entire industry that builds on MS Office i.e. mostly in ISV MIS(managed information systems) business office sectors.

Offline Erol

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2004, 09:26:28 PM »
whilst we on the subject of Microsoft..

http://amiga.emugaming.com/winnt.html

Offline Psy

• Show only replies by Psy
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »

GadgetMaster wrote:
Hmm, I think the opposite would happen. Instead of everyone complying to standards I think every man and his dog would try to come up with their own "superior" format further fragmenting the industry and causing chaos.

Sure, the geeks would be dancing but what about all the lost work from all the MSOffice dependants. Some peoples livelihoods actually depend on MS software. Something we usually take for granted. Not the best position for an industry to be in. It would take years to re-stabilise and it would be very large gap to fill.

I don't know, prior to the PC the big computers came together.  VMS, Unix, ect got along fine without having to do any fancy setup unlike getting Windows to play with anything else.  

I have a feeling if MS disappeared, compatiblity would be a huge feature.  As salesmen boast that, Yes their computer will work with all competitors systems following industry standards.  Face it after people get burned with being locked into Microsoft and if MS went away they would want to make sure their next sytem had the feature of being able to easily move to yet another system

Offline Star69

• Show only replies by Star69
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2004, 11:15:34 PM »

Hammer wrote:

Windows XP desktop runs fine IF you give it enough memory i.e. 256MB atleast.  

I've got 512mb of ram... twice the specs you suggest, but windows 2k runs ALOT faster for me... Just cos I happened to be running it on a 1 gig system... bloatware?

p.s. it is a cartoon os - changing the theme doesn't fix that.  You can change the way it looks, its still going to be a wizard for this and a wizard for that.  I preferred the hands on approach to w98 - you could really get your fingers into it (probably my amiga upbringing)

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2004, 11:54:06 PM »

TheMagicM wrote:
alot of people bash Windows/MS.. I run Win 2kPro and have NO PROBLEMS, no blue screens etc.  My 6yr old son uses Win 2k Pro for games and even his system runs PERFECT.  I use my system every day and leave it on 24/7..it runs without reboot for at a minimum of 2-3 months unless I install something that requires a reboot.

So if you're having a problem with windows, maybe its your hardware or a user error.

-Alex

Actually for the last 2 years I've seen more people praise Microsoft. Like yourself and the posters after you. No one on here seems to bash them at all anymore.

-edit-

For the record though I prefer 98SE and 2000 to XP. XP gave me nothing but problems, and just using the OS wasn't a very enjoyable experinece from me. Certainly not enjoyable compared to the Macintosh or the Amiga. As a result I migrated rather quickly from Windows to Macintosh after a mere 3 months of using XP.. and guess what.. not one problem ever after 18 months of usage. I would have had to reinstall Windows half a dosen times by now had I not migrated.. I am almost certain of that. Oh I also would have had to defrag my machine all the time just to keep it at a *fairly* reasonable speed. All I can say to my friends these days who suffer Windows problems is "those were the days"  :lol:
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline AmigaFreak

• Show only replies by AmigaFreak
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2004, 06:27:43 AM »
I used to bash Microsoft left and right, me
and my best friend hated Microsoft so much
back 4-6 years ago. (wait, he still hates MS
LOL he bought a Mac) He refuses to use a
Windows based PC at all. As for me, I will
use a Windows PC if I HAVE to. At all costs
I try to use Linux or something. (actually
right now Im on my Dreamcast, /w DC Web
Browser 2.6, SuperH Linux, and /w Keyboard.)

-- Joshua E. Horn

"Um... I think my computer let out the blue smoke! What should I do?!?!?"

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2004, 10:50:51 AM »
Everyone should keep in mind the customer base for Windows.  Linux may run more efficiently at a low-level, but there's very few GUI standards.  I find using KDE very painful compared to Win2K.

Of course, I refuse to upgrade to XP since I don't need it, so my mindset is with the more "professional" version of Windows without much garbage attached.  The newfangled, over-automated Start menu in XP Home looks pretty pathetic to me.  A major rule of interface design is not to move things around on people very often, and the XP Start menu pushes around recently used apps a bit too much.  It annoys the hell out of my boss.  :-)

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2004, 11:07:43 AM »
Microsoft bashing hardly exists anymore, because everyone thinks XP is amazing. I don't see how it is, but I am not a Microsoft-basher, I just dislike Windows plain and simply because I find it irritating to use and feel like the computer is fighting me every step of the way to make my life difficult.

I own an X-box, and I enjoy using Microsoft DOS  :-D
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2004, 11:46:05 AM »

Waccoon wrote:
Everyone should keep in mind the customer base for Windows.  Linux may run more efficiently at a low-level, but there's very few GUI standards.  I find using KDE very painful compared to Win2K.

Of course, I refuse to upgrade to XP since I don't need it, so my mindset is with the more "professional" version of Windows without much garbage attached.  The newfangled, over-automated Start menu in XP Home looks pretty pathetic to me.  A major rule of interface design is not to move things around on people very often, and the XP Start menu pushes around recently used apps a bit too much.  It annoys the hell out of my boss.  :-)

I got hold of WinXP Pro (SP1) which my work were throwing away.

Installed it on my 4 year old Athlon (with a new harddrive), which was running Win2k Pro...

I switched off all the eye candy, put it into Win2K GUI mode, and it runs much faster (faster boot and shut down too), and much more stable than Win2K.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2004, 12:13:22 PM »
If it is more stable, then most likely you didn't have good drivers for 2k.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2004, 12:25:30 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
If it is more stable, then most likely you didn't have good drivers for 2k.

I wouldn't be surprised, my Mobo was raelly badly supported in the driver department.

Offline Emufreak

• Show only replies by Emufreak
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2004, 12:43:42 PM »
In a lot of ways I find Linux actually easier to use and more user Friendly than Windows. I downloaded Kanotix lately and Printer, Soundcard, Cd-Writer worked Immediately. For Scanner support though I had to add a Line in a startup file. I haven't found a Video Format in I couldn't Play with the Videoplayer Xine. I didn't have to install any codecs.

That are just some examples.

Most of the Problems I get with Linux have to do with licensing. Nvidia doesn't want for some reasons that their drivers for 3d-supprt are included in the Linuxdistributions. They provide one one their side though. But installing it is a  pain in the a**. I also had problems to play commercial dvds because including the decoder with the Linuxdistribution is illegal in some countrys.

I think I had one single crash in four Month of using Linux (actually just KDE crashed and I had to reboot).

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2004, 03:01:03 PM »
M$ Gone!  A dream come true.  Unfortunately that is not going to happen.  Bummer.  There would be too much happiness in the world if that were to happen.  And, you all know we are ment to suffer.   :lol:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love: