Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.  (Read 14667 times)

Description:

Offline Step

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« on: August 21, 2003, 06:38:57 PM »
I must confess i am still at 3.1 so i dont really know how things are in the updated world, but since i cant run some older (a500 etc) stuff, an emulation could perhaps be wanted, or something like that...
 :sealed: Think, before :ranting:

Offline Step

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 10:02:01 PM »
@marktime

A EULA would be a valid contract if you signed it, but since in most cases you do not, its not a valid contract.
However, the right thing is of course to go back to the store and demand a refund since you obvisously dont agree to the terms.
Theres only one problem, take my Adobe Acrobat box for instance, it says on the outside that the use of the product is regulated through the license agreement on the media.
And there is NO WAY that a shop will make a refund on software that you have opened since they are assuming you have already copied it. Therfore IMO i am entitled to fair use of the product, even if its not strictly is acording to the EULA.

My point here is not that all EULAs are wrong, but that the producer really should make the EULA accessible outside the box.

Offline Step

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 12:36:31 AM »
@iamaboringperson

Sorry, my point was to say that a EULA could be valid, if handled correctly. The problem is, they are not.
Take the windows update as an example, theres usually an EULA involved, what happens when the OS decides to bug when the interaction with the user is to take place, and hit the i agree button itself, would the user be tied to the agreement ?, ofcourse not.
Theres all sorts of problems with electronic stuff like this and unlike a signature on a paper, where the actual agreement and the signature is tied to eachother, an electronic "i agree" button does not say who actually pushed the button, nor if that person is of legal age etc...