Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.  (Read 3523 times)

Description:

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
Re: I want to make a game for the classic Amiga.
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
Quote from: som99;719500
I love RPG's the most, I would love a new game like "Excelsior Phase Two", I love that angle and game style :)

Btw I love that game, not many have played or know about it, ive completed it at every class and own a genuine copy :)

Dude.
Admit it. You're my long lost twinbrother ;)

I loved that game.
Don't own a genuine copy, unfortunately. But from what little I remember of it, it was pretty darn good.

Another all-time favourite would be Ultima VI: The False Prophet. The fact that you could recruit a mouse (Sherry the Mouse, to be exact) into your lines of battle steeled soldiers made it all the more awesome.

@AmigaClassicRule

It all depends on your expertise and your personal taste.
No sense in creating a game in a genre you don't like.

Likewise, an overly complicated free-roaming RPG might not be the best practice for a newbie.

Personally, I'd like to see a new platformer or (and that's kind of selfish, as the main reason I even wish for it is so that I've a reason to finish my own game faster) a graphical text adventure.

EDIT: What I'd also love to see is a commercial game made in Sierra's SCI engine. Though I don't really know the terms of use and whether it's even permitted to publish a commercial game made in it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:22:18 PM by Blinx123 »
Sam: \\"You crack me up little buddy\\"
Max: \\"I love you Sam\\"

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:17 AM »
Another thing that would be nice (though you'll probably need a somewhat recent PC, since classic Amiga raytraces take way too long):

A Myst'esque point and click adventure.

I think that's what I'm doing some day. Although, I'll probably use Amiga Vision* or Hollywood.

*Strangely, I've never seen a commercial application on the Amiga utilizing Amiga Vision Professional.
Which is rather sad, as it had great potential (what with being a major competitor to Hypercard).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:51:25 AM by Blinx123 »

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
Have you looked into Amiblitz 3?

It's much more up to date than AMOS (even supports RTG, I think) and way faster.

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719589
Thank you for answering my questions :)

@Blinx123

Blinkx123 concerning AmiBlitz3 I also believe it is a VERY POWERFUL LANGUAGE.

So I want to ask the same questions towards AmiBlitz3 if the answers are better than the one I get for AMOS I will develop my project on AmiBlitz3 instead:

I have some questions to ask about AmiBlitz 3.

1) Where can I get the full version of AmiBlitz 3?
2) Does it come with examples and manual (PDF) in case I need to use them for help reference?
3) If I wish to post questions to help me using AmitBliz 3 is there a full active community with a forum I can post questions there and where?
4) Would I be able to develop Workbench application?
5) Could I access the hard drive, I/O functions to save/load while blitting sprite?
6) Is it an object oriented language allowing me to make classes and functions to be called anywhere in the program?
7) Is it a compiler or an interpreter?

1. The actual webspot has been down for the last two months or so (malware attack)
Therefore, you'll have to get it of Sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiblitz3/files/

2. It should. And if not, there are still tutorials and code snippets flying around.

3. The community is somewhat small compared to the AMOS community, but should be plenty big enough to keep you going.

http://amiblitz3.amiforce.de/main.php

4. I don't see why you wouldn't. Blitz Basic supported workbench applications all the way back to the original Blitz Basic 2.

5. Yes.

6. I don't think so. Don't know why you'd even need it though. If there's anything you should grave for, it's concurreny. Concurrency is what will catapult software development into a new age of prosperity. OOP is just an outdated paradigm propagated by people who think everything should be put in a giant, bloated framework.

I don't know where you get the idea from that OOP allows for classes and functions to be called anywhere. Pure OOP (seldom utilized, even by those who say they were coding in OOP) is much more isolationist than any other paradigm (being mainly focused on stability and security, rather than performance or elegance). Which is also why real OOP doesn't really work with concurrency (or co-routines, for that matter).

7. Strictly compiled

Offline Blinx123

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;719614
I just want to correct your information...PureBasic IS STILL being developed for Amiga and supported!

The AmigaOS version is actually the slightly outdated 4.0 release. It has also gone OpenSource, so I don't think there's even a need to buy it.