Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GPL MorphOS?  (Read 9565 times)

Description:

Offline Dagon

• Show all replies
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
Re: GPL MorphOS?
« on: April 07, 2003, 08:12:01 PM »
Oh no, not the GPL virus please...
I actually prefer a real open source license, like the BSD license.

Well it`s not the "real open source" license but a real FREE license. Take the source and do whatever you want, eat it... no limitations (like those that has GPL that makes people reinventing the wheel even for the little things if they want to make some money) only the recognition of the author of the original version as you said.

It's called market domination. AOS would be dead in the water. People would buy Pegasos boards (which is what Genesi make money off), as they are better/cheaper than A1 boards.

Well why buy a pegasos or an A1 when I can have the same OS on my superior and cheaper PC? I`ll buy an AmigaOne or a Pegasos because it runs my beloved OS, that is the MAIN reason.

It would be stupid for Genesi if they contaminate the MorphOS source code with the GPL virus...
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Dagon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 12:55:07 PM »
To run MorphOS/Amiga OS4 ? I honestly can't see any other reason. Sure, you could probably run Linux on them - but then (see your argument above) why would I do that when I can run that on x86 hardware?

The geek factor. Do you really think anyone but us Amiga geeks will buy the hardware en-masse?

What about Amithlon? Amithlon on a top end 3Ghz x86 machine wipes the floor with anything eytech/genesi have to offer at native speed.

It would be stupid to spend 1000+ EYPO (for a complete system) just to say to your friends.. "hey look I`m a geek hehehe". (typical average linux user)

I`ll buy an AmigaOne or a Pegasos because it runs my beloved OS, that is the only reason that I`ll spend my money on these machines. An no UAE and Amithlon is not an option, they are emulators, not a real computer.

Anyways, I just got myself CVS access to AROS so I'd better put my money where my mouth is (Time being money in this capitalist world! )

Very nice, I believe very much in Aros, and when it is ready I`ll buy a cheap PC just for it. A dedicated Aros Machine ;-) Aros RULEZ!!

Capitalism RuLeZ :P
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Dagon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 06:15:02 PM »
Praxis is the greek word for act, action, deed, practice etc.
what`s your problem with that? even the word practice (which is also greek)  you used derives from praxis. the phrase is right, you can use both words.
Practice = TT P A K T I K H pronounced praktiki.   with "a" as in cut, and "i" as in kill

(and both are part of the english lexicon :P)

Offline Dagon

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 11:39:45 PM »
Note that both AmigaOS 4.0 and MorphOS has an emulated 68k layers/modules...

So? will I remain for the rest of my life with 68k (even if it is emulated in a PPC cpu) software? Life goes on... I believe that the most important apps will be ported and new will be developed. (isn`t that the plan?)

Note that AROS doesn’t run legacy software on non-68k machine. IF it doesn’t run Amiga legacy software, why not switch to completely new OS platform (e.g. BeOS, Linux, BSD and ‘etc’)?

So?
1> as I said many apps will be ported and new will be developed.
2> `Cause it`s AmigaOS (or AmigaOS-like if you like) and that`s my favorite OS. Simple.
Or do you stay with this platform only for its apps? Do you think that all these OSes have less apps or worse than ours? (Well maybe  BeOS :PPP)