Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Processing power: Computer vs Human Brain  (Read 3587 times)

Description:

Offline gizz72Topic starter

• Show only replies by gizz72
Processing power: Computer vs Human Brain
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
Greetings,

The chart shows Ray Kurzweil's projected processing power of a Supercomputer in FLOP x 10^n. In terms to processing power that triples every year, is the possibility a human brain would be obsolete in 20 ~ 30 years time? By 2025 our future generation will encounter computers that are "self-aware" or "sentient", could interact, and design it's own games, music? Sounds scary IMHO in a way, human brain can be obsolete, or we're all just plain lazy. :lol: Clean the room, fix the car, upgrade my Amiga:lol:, do the laudry, make your homework, iron socks, curse at them without them cursing back:lol:... it's so 2025-ish... :lol:
Anyway at present, using cell technology Nasa is simulating a black hole using perturbation theory. That's 16 networked Playstation 3. :)

Regards,

GiZz72
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:44:48 AM by gizz72 »
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Processing power: Computer vs Human Brain
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »
Quote from: gizz72;521565
Greetings,

The chart shows Ray Kurzweil's projected processing power of a Supercomputer in FLOP x 10^n. In terms to processing power that triples every year, is the possibility a human brain would be obsolete in 20 ~ 30 years time? By 2025 our future generation will encounter computers that are "self-aware" or "sentient", could interact, and design it's own games, music? Sounds scary IMHO in a way, human brain can be obsolete, or we're all just plain lazy. :lol: Clean the room, fix the car, upgrade my Amiga:lol:, do the laudry, make your homework, iron socks, curse at them without them cursing back:lol:... it's so 2025-ish... :lol:
Anyway at present, using cell technology Nasa is simulating a black hole using perturbation theory. That's 16 networked Playstation 3. :)

Regards,

GiZz72
I'm not sure, the human brain works very different. We know very little of the human brain. There are also the aspects of social interaction and the human physics.
But they do really wonderous things, with both brain interaction as well as neural networks.
Still, there's a long long way to go. And having enough teraflops is just the beginning.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'