Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7430 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »
Lots of businesses still use xp. The hospital I work for still has windows xp desktops but they are phasing in Windows 7 machines now to replace broken machines. Windows xp has been a solid platform for Microsoft and is still solid now.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
I think until the security patches stop been released for xp there is no need for people to immediately upgrade but maybe at the very least start thinking about saving money for new hardware. While I like Windows 7, And grudgingly use 8 on my wifes laptop, I don't think there is any need for panic just yet if people are comfortable and still have software that works.

Most businesses that still run XP, and a lot of public services do, will probably be already looking to start upgrading the Windows 7. There is already some systems that are Windows 7 at the hospital I work at in key areas just to make sure comparability and stability is there. After all we don't want an X-Ray machine doing a BSOD on us midway through a scan lol.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;723793
My company only upgraded my work computer to Windows 7 three months ago. My personal machine still runs XP. Most software still supports XP. The end is nigh, but it's not here yet.

Exactly. :)

I have a relative that was still using my old Win 98se Dell, that I gave her 8 years ago, up to the begining of last year. She never went on the net and only did word processing and played a few games. I would imagine there is an army of people that are like this with XP.

Offline CritAnime

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
I detested windows 8 however it's slowly growing on me. And I spend more time on the "classic" desktop so I don't deal with metro very much. Thats not to say I outright like it now. I am still not impressed with metro and certain things, like having to go to hot coners to alter settings, still annoy me.