Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How do I setup this Kickstart switcher?  (Read 1133 times)

Description:

Offline daspilkerTopic starter

• Show only replies by daspilker
How do I setup this Kickstart switcher?
« on: March 09, 2021, 07:39:57 AM »
I can not find any documentation for this Kickstart switcher.

It's labeled LS A9211-3 © FH 1992.

How must the jumpers J1 and J2 be set and where must the KB and RES lines be connected to?

I want to run Kickstart 1.3 and 2.05 on an Amiga 500 Plus.

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: How do I setup this Kickstart switcher?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:44:04 AM »
Pretty sure the wires going to s1 are meant for an optional switch so you can change over without taking the case apart. The jumper does the same thing, People trailed this out to the trapdoor slot and insulated them for easy change over, KB and Res same deal for switching from keyboard reset, But that means soldering to the mainboard.

The notch for the ROMs (top) goes on the left, it's marked on the PCB as a square notch. Also the cable to go into the ROM socket has the red wire (pin 1) on the left, so make sure that goes to the notched end of the ROM socket.

Remember that V2.05 comes in different versions, V37.300 or later is what you need for IDE support (if you are using 68KIDE or Terriblefire or similar).

It might not work on a Rev 5 A500, these were not designed for EPROMs and need a little buffered header to take EPROMs. If you are using original pROM chips from Commodore, not an issue,

I doubt you need the jumper AND the switch, try it with one or the other to begin with. Just make sure the ROMs are the correct orientation, then you can experiment a little with the jumper and the switch wire.

EDIT: What is confusing is that some kickswitchers were designed to take a speaker, not  a switch. Unit appears too simple for that?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:15:44 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi