Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA puts Marko Hirv's name back  (Read 12910 times)

Description:

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Commodore USA puts Marko Hirv's name back
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 13, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
Quote from: Belial6;579146
Piru posted the entire work.
I did not. It's much smaller resolution and less colors. I did no changes to the artwork other than scale it down and reduce the colors.

To quote wikipedia: "The copy is of sufficient resolution for commentary and identification but lower resolution than the original image. Copies made from it will be of inferior quality, unsuitable as counterfeit artwork, pirate versions or for uses that would compete with the (potential) commercial purpose of the original artwork."

The entire scaled down image was needed to demonstrate the changes Commodore USA made. It would very hard to do so without displaying the image in question.

If you try to accuse me of something, please at least get your facts straight first.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:15 AM »
@Piru
You did reduce the quality a bit, but certainly not enough to keep it from being able to compete with the (potential) commercial purpose of the original artwork.  You also did not need to post the entire image to comment on it, or to even show what you were commenting on.  Just the altared pieces would have sufficed.  I am sure that YouTube would like to be informed that reducing resolution and color depth is all that you need to do to circumvent copyright.  They could get away from having to deal with those pesky take down notifications.

You still have not answered whether you are throwing around insults over the letter of the law, or over the non-legal idea that he is 'stealing' property.

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2010, 12:34:47 AM »
@tone007
Since you are not arguing the letter of the law, then you are just being an ass to the guys at CUSA.  What you are doing is not 'lampooning' them.  You are outright and seriously calling them theives.  You are doing this because they used some really old image that the author likely doesn't even care about.

Offline tone007

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;579157
@tone007
Since you are not arguing the letter of the law, then you are just being an ass to the guys at CUSA.  What you are doing is not 'lampooning' them.  You are outright and seriously calling them theives.  You are doing this because they used some really old image that the author likely doesn't even care about.

I called them cheesy. If that makes me an ass, so be it. I think they're asses. They also admitted to using the picture without permission.  Sounds like stealing to me.  Let me know if you find out that it isn't, but if someone decided to use something of mine without asking (yes, it has happened,) I'd consider it stealing.  Oh, and don't presume to know why I'm posting against them.  I started long before they used the image.

Also, please learn to spell thieves, your typos are hurting my eyes, Befail9.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:45:58 AM by tone007 »
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;579154
@Piru
You did reduce the quality a bit, but certainly not enough to keep it from being able to compete with the (potential) commercial purpose of the original artwork.
The original is 1504 x 1152 24bit.

The version in the embedded animation is 627 x 480 256 color with heavy dithering (due to shared animation palette).

If that isn't quality reduction I don't know what is.

You also did not need to post the entire image to comment on it
The changes would have been difficult if not impossible to explain without. There were already confusion earlier regarding how the image was modified.
 Posting a quick reduced quality animation makes it easily obvious what I'm talking about. This falls within fair use.

I consider this matter closed.

Commodore USA however still continues to use the image in their marketing material under the label "Introducing our all new, all-in-one Commodore 64bit computers for 2010" and "2.66 GHz Intel Core I7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB, 2 TB hard drive, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, BLU RAY drive. Available late 2010".
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 01:29:45 AM by Piru »

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »
Commodore USA has changed the products page.

Now it says: "Taking the styling cues and inspiration from the futuristic rendering above by Marko Hirv, and the contemporary elegance of our Phoenix model below, to the classic retro design of the original C64, we'll be introducing a complete line of Commodore and Amiga branded computers in the months ahead."

google cache of the old page
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:03:25 PM by Piru »

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
sounds like he is trying...

anyone happy yet?

yeah, I thought not.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!