Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New iMac  (Read 5562 times)

Description:

Offline jjTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: New iMac
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 31, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »
Wow can of worms. I use both PCs and macs. For audio windows does not come close. That goes for android too. But anyway was just impressed with the screen.  Would be great for audio too all that real estate
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
"For audio windows does not come close"..
You're kidding right ?
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »
@Duce

It exists, you know it, I know it, Asus are working on 5K monitors. The PC market drives technology forward, it's been like that for years.

The one you're going to build is lovely...let's just say that if you're into building PCs, it's a lot more fun than buying an iMac and no I have no intention of buying a 2k, 4k or 5k...too expensive for me... :)

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Quote from: JJ;776301
For audio windows does not come close. That goes for android too. But anyway was just impressed with the screen.  Would be great for audio too all that real estate

Say what?
Don't go logic pro x vs ableton vs cubase discussion, all have pros and cons OSX aint doing audio production better than Windows nowdays.

It's all about the producer not the software or OS flavour.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »
i7-4790k, 480gig sata3 ssd (Kingston), mobo, 32gig ddr4@3000mhz, gf 780ti, 5k screen

cost me $1800 aud./$1600 USD all up (granted, I get screens at 50% off though). Im a little shocked at the prices people mention for pc gear. Usually seems a lot more than I experience.

How does this compare to a mac? (pretty much rhetorical, I know the answer)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:51:28 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;776211

I doubt any circa 2006 Apple product can even run a current we browser.

PC for me all the way.

Well, my 2005 Apple Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz runs a pretty decent browser: Odyssey 1.24 to be precise. Sure, a certain OS switch was required, but who wants OS X anyway..?

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
So paying double or more for the same PC hardware in an "Apple" case. If you really want to run OSX you can without the Apple price tag. Plenty of FAQs out there on how to do it.

I'd rather have http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tXqJNG :-)

Sure the Dell 27" 5k monitor is $2500 but the prices will drop very quickly when more come to market.

Plus you're not stuck with an all in one which is hard to upgrade. Plus the number of motherboard faults (logic board faults as Apple calls it) I've seen I'll pass :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 10:16:01 PM »
Quote from: Duce;776124
Macs hold their value far better than PC's, imo - and the display on the new iMac's is stunning when you actually see it hands on.

Not sure about monetary value..but I bought a 17" PowerBook G4 brand new in 2006 for over
3k with Apple care.  It was my first laptop and have used it every single day(not a lie) since..  It still remains my only laptop, in fact it is my only "modern" computer.  I never had one issue, knock on wood.  I dont "have" to upgrade but I want to :).

I can safely say that I have gotten my moneys worth out of the machine..Not sure a PC bought in the same year would be as useful or have performed flawlessly like my trusty
ol G4.  Even started a FB page PPCMacs when I had issues with not having the latest flash player, which isn't compatible with PPC.  I posted a hack which has worked just fine.

Rich

Offline Bodie

• Show only replies by Bodie
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:54 PM »
Quote from: JJ;775988
How tasty does that look/.  14.7 millions pixels.  5k screen.  Yes 5K

wish I had spare £3K

My brother has ordered one, can't wait to see it.

Re: pc builders, how is the constant upgrade cycle treating you all there?

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 11:12:28 PM »
>>Re: pc builders, how is the constant upgrade cycle treating you all there?

The constant upgrade is voluntary and not imposed. If I wanted I could also keep running the same medium range PC for as long as I like or decide to put another 32GB of Ram inside my PC to go up to 64GB and add another graphics card in SLI/CROSSFIRE mode.

How do you that on an iMac? ;)

Also software and gaming evolve, 3D software requires more power etc...but it's up to you to decide whether do upgrade or not.

Depending on what you want to do with your machine you upgrade it or not. Some people are running Amigas with stock configurations, some have PowerPC boards and a graphics card...

If I think that Call of Duty Advanced Warfare is worth upgrading my PC, I get a new CPU, more memory and a better graphics card.

http://www.callofduty.com/advancedwarfare/media/discover-your-power

Nobody is telling me to do it...it's up to me. :D

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 11:29:22 PM »
Yeah, the ability to upgrade when and what I want is great.

It's not like software ceases to function if I don't constantly upgrade, but if somewhere down the track a piece of software comes out where having something upgraded is enough of a benefit to bother with then it's good to be able to upgrade that component easily.
I tend to pick carefully too, so to syphon parts down to my aros or amithlon machines when I do eventually upgrade something. This way buying one component can effectively upgrade 2 or 3 machines.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:34:30 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
I don't like iMacs. Mac Pros (new and old), MacBooks (pro and air), PowerMacs (G4 and G5), PowerBooks, Mac Minis, Cubes, ... sure, but iMacs is not my thing. Of course I would still spend thousands to buy an iMac over a cheapo Windows PC, and I would still spend even more to buy a good old (or new) Amiga.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2014, 12:01:36 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;776246
If you don't like it don't buy it but don't write that those who bought Mac are idiots.
I've a Mac laptop from 2008 and I haven't had any issues with it software and HW wise since. I bought my wife a VAIO in 2009, the motherboard has been changed twice, the DVD drive once, and the trackpad twice too. Now it has a problem with the power adaptor so she barely use it and it was just 200euros less that the Mac with half the RAM.

Kamelito

That 2008 laptop- does Apple still support it with its current OS?

Because history shows they kill hardware by not supporting in the OS, then so do the web browsers, and in the internet age, you now have a door stop made of fully functioning hardware.

Planned obsolescence.

guest7657

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;776306
@Duce

It exists, you know it, I know it, Asus are working on 5K monitors.

If it exists please post the link where I can buy it.

guest7657

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;776309
i7-4790k, 480gig sata3 ssd (Kingston), mobo, 32gig ddr4@3000mhz, gf 780ti, 5k screen

Can you provide details i.e. brand/model of that 5k screen?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
The upgrade issue is not an IMac only issue.  It's an AIO issue.  Of course you cannot simply open a panel and add a new graphics card, be it on an iMac, Visio All in one, Dell, HP, or any other brand AIO, for the most part.  While they are commodity guts in them, they are still special form factor just to fit in the AIO case.  Some you cannot even upgrade the RAM on, esp. the low priced PC AIO's.  iMac's you can add more RAM, including the new one.  It's standard DDR3L and easily accessible.

There's dozens of other vendors that make all in one or one piece PC's.  While there's some truth to the idea you're buying planned obsolescence, it's the form factor at fault, not an iMac only issue.

No different than a laptop - can't just throw a new gfx card in one of those whenever you like.  Personally, my biggest fear on AIO's has always been a display panel conking out on a person 1 day after warranty expires.

Good teardown on iFixit - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Teardown/30260