Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old metallic Amiga badge  (Read 1478 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Old metallic Amiga badge
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:47:52 PM »
Excited as a kid in a candy store w/ my A3000, I had to share this other anomaly: stuck over the C= AMIGA labeling on the front of the case(it was ugly there actually), was this metal adhesive badge of yore. It's exactly the same size as the badging on a 1080 monitor, but I've never actually seen these used. I've recently seen super early A1000 models that had the Boing Ball on the case instead of the Checkmark, but anyone know what's up with this singular piece? Maybe a leftover from the really early 1080 or 'HR' series monitor days? Someone obviously thought it was the shit, else they wouldn't have mucked up an A3000 case for it. :-(

BTW: no A3000 cases were harmed in the removal of this thing...  lol  But it does look like with a little bit of finesse, the old badge could be made flat again  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:49:55 PM by save2600 »

Offline Tension

Re: Old metallic Amiga badge
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
Quote from: save2600;540387
Excited as a kid in a candy store w/ my A3000, I had to share this other anomaly: stuck over the C= AMIGA labeling on the front of the case(it was ugly there actually), was this metal adhesive badge of yore. It's exactly the same size as the badging on a 1080 monitor, but I've never actually seen these used. I've recently seen super early A1000 models that had the Boing Ball on the case instead of the Checkmark, but anyone know what's up with this singular piece? Maybe a leftover from the really early 1080 or 'HR' series monitor days? Someone obviously thought it was the shit, else they wouldn't have mucked up an A3000 case for it. :-(

BTW: no A3000 cases were harmed in the removal of this thing...  lol  But it does look like with a little bit of finesse, the old badge could be made flat again  :)

That is exceptionally cool!!

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »
I know... I HATED removing it - but I really, really wanted the front of the A3000 to be unadulterated. There was a thought that ran through my mind as I was oh so carefully peeling that bastard up: "what if there's a flaw, scratch or gouge underneath?"...  lmao  Glad not at the expense of this poor thing!

Offline Tension

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:01:55 AM »
Hopefully you've found something rare and valuable there!!

I've never seen that badge on any Amiga stuff!!

I wonder could it be from an Amiga Technologies (Escom era) computer?

Offline Tension

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
You're right, it's from the 1080.

"Before the rainbow check mark was chosen as the official logo for the Commodore Amiga, Commodore produced a batch of Boing Ball logo plates that would be attached to the front of the A1000 computer, 1080 Monitors, 1010 Disk Drives, 5.25" disk drives, and A1000 Keyboards. However, the company abandoned this logo, chosing the familiar rainbow check mark. The Boing ball was quickly adopted as the unofficial logo for Amiga enthusiasts everywhere.

The plate is made of metal with a plastic lamination layer, and is covered with a die-cut piece of waxed paper, as originally manufactured by Commodore in 1985.. The silvery metal squares which checkerboard on the ball with the red squares were made with a diamond-cut process, so they reflect and shimmer when you move the logoplate around in the light."

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/rareitem.html

Aaah well...  :)

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »
Wow - great info!  But still... for it to show up on an A3000 (and you could tell it was not removed from something and simply applied here) was pretty cool. I've straightened her out pretty good - but am thinking about taking a heat gun or hair dryer to her next... This is one rare case where I'd like to see her totally flat.  :lol:

Offline tone007

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:56:07 AM »
Quote from: save2600;540401
Wow - great info!  But still... for it to show up on an A3000 (and you could tell it was not removed from something and simply applied here) was pretty cool. I've straightened her out pretty good - but am thinking about taking a heat gun or hair dryer to her next... This is one rare case where I'd like to see her totally flat.  :lol:

If it's metal, heat might not help you much.  The metal might just heat up and damage the finish applied to it.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:19:18 AM »
For sure. It's not a "heavy metal" though, mind you. The stuff is very pliable - like some kind of aluminium composite. Would only heat it from the back side if I were to attempt it, but will probably just leave it. Yeah, right! lol  I'll get this sucka back to 100% straightness and sell it on ePay as some kind of long lost NOS masterpiece. lol  

Offline motrucker

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:36:46 AM »
Quote from: save2600;540407
For sure. It's not a "heavy metal" though, mind you. The stuff is very pliable - like some kind of aluminium composite. Would only heat it from the back side if I were to attempt it, but will probably just leave it. Yeah, right! lol  I'll get this sucka back to 100% straightness and sell it on ePay as some kind of long lost NOS masterpiece. lol  

Heat will not help at all! Don't get a heat gun near it! You'll be able to get it right again, with care. Just make sure you don't stretch it.
I have seen one of the early metal badges, with only the ball on it - didn't say AMIGA. Maybe that one was for a 1000 keyboard?
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:46 AM »
Okay, okay - lol   I won't be taking a heat source to her... actually, rubbing the damn thing unconsciously like a rubbing stone seems to be doing the trick. I'll post pictures in about a week when she's all done.   :lol:

Offline ArcticSon

• Show only replies by ArcticSon
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
Around 1995 or 1996 I got a handful of these from Dale Larson --- Intangible Assets when I purchased some products from him.

He gave the backstory on how he got then when he was at C=.

There were a few of these rectangular ones, and a few square logos with only
the Boing Ball.

I was tempted to stick one on an Amiga or two, but resisted, so have them in a plastic box in a drawer.  ;-)

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 05:18:55 AM »
These used to turn up quite often on eBay a number of years ago (close to 10, maybe). Haven't seen one in a while.

Offline nishtek

• Show only replies by nishtek
    • http://www.nishtek.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;540421
These used to turn up quite often on eBay a number of years ago (close to 10, maybe). Haven't seen one in a while.

True.  All Amiga engineers had those.  We got some off Dave Haynie :)
----
Nishtek.com

Offline Tension

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
Quote from: nishtek;540433
True.  All Amiga engineers had those.  We got some off Dave Haynie :)

I wonder what the story behind that is?

Did they make too many labels and want to re-use them sometime in the future, like the DX badges from the C64DX.  Apparently they had loads of DX badges left over from a run of CBM PCs, and they slapped them on a version of the 64, and hey presto, a new machine was born!!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
Quote from: Tension;540439
I wonder what the story behind that is?

Did they make too many labels and want to re-use them sometime in the future, like the DX badges from the C64DX.  Apparently they had loads of DX badges left over from a run of CBM PCs, and they slapped them on a version of the 64, and hey presto, a new machine was born!!

The story I remember is that management made a last-minute decision to use the Checkmark instead of the Boing Ball.