Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple II GS  (Read 3083 times)

Description:

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
Re: Apple II GS
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:28 PM »
What a timely thread, I was looking into available software for Apple 2s just last night.  I have the older (and less expandable) Apple IIc. I love the green screen! The recent thread about Ncomm and BBSes got me thinking that it would be fun to link some of the older machines thru null modem cables.  Since HDs for IIc are rare and spendy, maybe I can archive Apple software on another platform before it evaporates from the original floppies.

I would be interested in a short list of the must-have apps for Apple II.  :)

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;785372
..Personally I liked the IIGS a lot.  Didn't hold a candle to my Commodore's ...

I have no experience with the IIGS and very little with the C64.  How was the C64 superior (sound, graphics, software selection)?  IIRC, they both used the CPU from the 6502 family, even though the IIGS was 16-bit.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:01:27 PM by Tenacious »

Offline Tenacious

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
There have got to be many thousands of Apple 2s still existing with proud owners who want to keep them running and even somewhat modern. By that estimation, there must be fewer but still a substantial number of IIc machines still clocking and prized by their owners.  And yet, it is difficult to find a modern storage solution for the IIc!  Casually browsing for the Timex/Sinclair 1000 the other night, there was an active community and modern hardware still developed with a SD card storage.  This is great, because the cassette tape method was completely frustrating and unreliable!

I imagined there would be HD solutions, SD card solutions, comparatively enormous ram expansions, etc AND a ROM update to seamlessly glue the new options together for a better system that retains backward compatibility.  IMHO, the IIc was one of the very first portable computers and had great build quality (I was smitten when it showed up in the movie "2010").  And yet, I can find very little available for it, nothing cleverly modern, and nothing that isn't rare and expensive.  Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?