Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Close Window" tutorial errors  (Read 3881 times)

Description:

Offline cycloidTopic starter

• Show only replies by cycloid
"Close Window" tutorial errors
« on: May 10, 2003, 02:44:46 PM »
well i've scoured the "Amiga C Tutorial" website at liquido2.com for an email link but cant find one, so i'll post it here. i got my first amiga window runnig using the source but found some "issues" with the code that needed debugging, here they are:

>45                struct IntuiText *MyText;

this fills me with dread, surely that should be:

>45                struct IntuiText *MyText = new IntuiText;

but does that mean i have to "free" it when i shutdown?

>54                PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, 0, 0 );

changing it to this:

>54                PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, MyWindow->BorderLeft, MyWindow->BorderTop );

offsets it into the window's window bit. i learnt that by reading intuition.h :-)

>104           CloseLibrary( (struct Library *)IntuitionBase );

This caused shell lockups and all sorts of memory trouble, it worked cleanly when i made it:

>104           CloseLibrary( IntuitionBase );

also

>106
>107    return 0;
>108
>109 }

cycloid - willing and able C++ coder who's struggling through lack of documentation!

Offline Thomas

Re: "Close Window" tutorial errors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 06:14:24 PM »

>45 struct IntuiText *MyText;

>45 struct IntuiText *MyText = new IntuiText;

Of course you must allocate some memory if you use a pointer. But "new" is not the right thing here. I guess the tutorial is about C, not C++. Use AllocMem/FreeMem instead. Or use struct IntuiText MyText instead of *MyText.

>54 PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, 0, 0 );

changing it to this:

>54 PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, MyWindow->BorderLeft, MyWindow->BorderTop );

offsets it into the window's window bit. i learnt that by reading intuition.h

Just add the GimmeZeroZero flag, then Intuition does that for you.

>104 CloseLibrary( (struct Library *)IntuitionBase );

This caused shell lockups and all sorts of memory trouble, it worked cleanly when i made it:

>104 CloseLibrary( IntuitionBase );

But the former is correct. You should include , and to give the compiler the chance to inform you about wrong types.

cycloid - willing and able C++ coder who's struggling through lack of documentation!

Get the Amiga Developer CD. There is a lot of documentation on it and it is the *official* documentation. You really need it. Trial and error is not the right way to learn programming, because only documented features continue to work in future OS versions.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 06:23:27 PM »
You should include , and to give the compiler the chance to inform you about wrong types.

No. You MUST, *ABSOLUTELY MUST* use , and . Using clib is only asking for trouble.

Offline Sidewinder

• Show only replies by Sidewinder
    • http://www.liquido2.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 08:25:11 PM »
@cycloid

well i've scoured the "Amiga C Tutorial" website at liquido2.com for an email link but cant find one, so i'll post it here. i got my first amiga window runnig using the source but found some "issues" with the code that needed debugging, here they are:

Thanks for the feedback.  Actually my email address (amiga@ssmnet.net) is found in the introduction, but I should probably add it somewhere in every tutorial.

>45 struct IntuiText *MyText;

>45 struct IntuiText *MyText = new IntuiText;

Good catch.  This should fill you with dread and is my bad for not catching it in the first place.  You are correct that the memory should be reserved for the IntuiText structure.  The Amiga way of doing this is:

struct IntuiText *MyText = (struct IntuiText *)AllocMem( sizeof( struct IntuiText ), 0L );

And yes, if you allocate  memory in this way you must free it after you are done using it by adding:

FreeMem( MyText, sizeof( struct IntuiText) );

to the end of that block.

An alternative would be to create a real IntuiText structure instead of a pointer to an IntuiText structure:

struct IntuiText MyText;

MyText.LeftEdge = 10;
MyText.TopEdge = 20;
MyText.IText = "Click the close button to exit!";
MyText.DrawMode = JAM1;
MyText.FrontPen = 1;
MyText.NextText = NULL;

PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, &MyText, 0, 0 );

This is the change I will make to the tutorial source.

>54 PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, 0, 0 );

changing it to this:

>54 PrintIText( MyWindow->RPort, MyText, MyWindow->BorderLeft, MyWindow->BorderTop );

offsets it into the window's window bit. i learnt that by reading intuition.h

Very true, but as mentioned already, adding a WA_GimmeZeroZero tag when defining the window will do the same automagically.

>104 CloseLibrary( (struct Library *)IntuitionBase );

>104 CloseLibrary( IntuitionBase );

The code in the tutorial is correct for ANSI C compilers such as GCC.  Strictly speaking, CloseLibrary() expects an argument of type struct Library *.  The pointer IntuitionBase is of type struct IntuitionBase * not struct Library * (although the IntuitionBase structure actually begins with a Library structure) and therefore must be cast to a struct Library * when used in CloseLibrary().  Including the protos as mentioned earlier is a good way to catch these type mismatches.  By the way, which compiler are you using?

And yes, I forgot the return 0 at the end of main().  ;-)

Thank you for bringing up these errors.  I'll correct them and publish the updated tutorials.

Also, you might be able to find some very useful documentation near the bottom of  this page.
Sidewinder

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 11:32:59 PM »
Any particular reason to prefer AllocMem() / FreeMem() over AllocVec() and FreeVec()?

At least with the latter you can forget how big the allocation was and exec remembers for you.
int p; // A

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 12:59:58 AM »
@Karlos

No, there is no reason I prefer AllocMem() over AllocVec() other than AllocMem() is a more descriptive function name which helps new programmers understand what is actually happening.  It is also compatable accross all OSes if anyone is really still using OS 1.3.  :-D  But in practice, AllocVec() is prefered.
Sidewinder

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 01:04:09 AM »
That wasn't a criticism, btw :-)
I just figured AllocVec() / FreeVec() were more akin to malloc() and free() for those familiar with C but new to AmigaOS...
int p; // A

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 01:33:28 AM »
@Karlos

Hey, no problem.

You're exactly right, AllocVec() and FreeVec() are very much akin to ANSI C's malloc() and free().  The only difference is that AllocVec() allows you to specify different Amiga specific types of memory such as Chip RAM, Fast RAM, etc.

I'm certain I'll get into this more in one of my tutorials.  Right now I haven't even touched on memory management.   ;-)

Sidewinder

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 09:29:08 AM »

You're exactly right, AllocVec() and FreeVec() are very much akin to ANSI C's malloc() and free(). The only difference is that AllocVec() allows you to specify different Amiga specific types of memory such as Chip RAM, Fast RAM, etc.

There is one additional major difference, mostly important for lazy (bad) programmers: malloc() does resource tracking. You can return from the program without explicitely calling free() and the startup code will return all allocated memory. Each AllocVec() *must* be matched by a FreeVec().

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 02:02:58 PM »
being a migrating winblows C++ coder i'd expect to use malloc (and thus having it auto-freed for me if i'm feeling lazy :) ) but i thought i'd better check first.

i'll get me a dev CD but of course that involves £££ and i have zero at the moment... anyone up for a swap of some kind? i've a spare 1200 :-)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 05:59:37 PM »
@cycloid

[quote[
being a migrating winblows C++ coder i'd expect to use malloc (and thus having it auto-freed for me if i'm feeling lazy :) ) but i thought i'd better check first.
[/quote]

:-D  Heh, lazy programmers?  What is this you speak of?  ;-)  Honestly, resource tracking is cool, and malloc() works great for most things on the Amiga such as reserving space for structures, but if you are trying to reserve memory for things like graphics or sound you will need to use the AllocMem() or AllocVec() calls as they allow you explicitly specify that you want to reserve graphics (chip) memory.

Sidewinder

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 06:03:58 PM »

Sidewinder wrote:
Honestly, resource tracking is cool, and malloc() works great for most things on the Amiga such as reserving space for structures, but if you are trying to reserve memory for things like graphics or sound you will need to use the AllocMem() or AllocVec() calls as they allow you explicitly specify that you want to reserve graphics (chip) memory.

I have my own memory class for this (and other low-level memory related stuff) in C++ :-)
The class wraps AllocVec(), tracks allocations (safely freeing anything on exit) and supports features such as cache alignment and what not..

OOP rules :-)
int p; // A

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 04:14:02 PM »
i realised later that i'm doing things in C++ so actually just doing a "new" should do the allocing tracking for ya shouldnt it as a strcut is a class is an object in c++ innit! :-)

oh and the C++ thing goes for the (Library *) cast mentioned earlier. if IntuitionBase is a type of Library then any function that accepts a Library * will accept an IntuitionBase * by order of inheritance. of course if i want to do an IntuitionBase * thing in particular then the function would have to re-cast it back from a Library * ... i do lots of class based game type coding on the winblows box (e.g. a player is of type monster is of type animating is of type Entity)

C++ rules  :-D

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 06:51:52 PM »
Well, that would be nice, but it's not exactly that way in AmigaOS.

AmigaOS was written in C, so the C++ style inheritance rules don't exactly apply.

However, the designers did go for the compositional approach, so the first member of struct IntuitionBase is struct Library (any extended library type has struct Library as it's first member).

This means that although not strictly correct from a purist point of view, the following works

struct IntuitionBase* IntuitionBase;

struct Library* p = (struct Library*)IntuitionBase;

This led to a small problem I found in Storm C++ where, due to the redundant 'struct' keyword, the compiler complained about the variable IntuitionBase ( a pointer to an IntuitionBase structure) having the same name as the object...
Easily fixed, but bizzare and unexpected :-)
int p; // A

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 08:18:30 PM »

Just add the GimmeZeroZero flag, then Intuition does that for you.

I wouldn't do that. GZZ window uses more RAM and slows down system.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook