Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amigaone and Pegasus  (Read 4232 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Amigaone and Pegasus
« Reply #14 from previous page: August 17, 2003, 04:01:56 PM »
@ bloodline

Well, thank you! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2003, 04:04:51 PM »

SlimJim wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

You made such an excellent summation of the
Amiga scene in your previous post, only to ruin it
all with a standard anti- amigaworld rant. Too bad.
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but be
careful before you label everyone posting at AW as
"My way or the high way" people.

You imposed some serious respect for a while
there with that nice summary. Only to throw it all
away in a post that's more "my way or the high way"
than most.
SlimJim

As a silent lurker on Amigaworld, I can say that the people there are very friendly (Yourself included Mr SlimJim), though they will avoid talking about MOS and AROS at all cost (I've not see anyone mention MOS or AROS as an alternative to AOS4 to any newbees asking questions).

The Moderation is horrendus, I have seen with my own eyes posts with resonable questions deleted!! I almost felt like posting. But I won't for now, since Mr Bouma will probably just delete any Post with the nick Bloodline at the top.

While I feel takemehomegrandma was a little harsh in his summation, I would generally agree with the theme of this post.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2003, 04:11:50 PM »
@ SlimJim

Thank you too! :-)

Well, I guess we all have our own perception of the reality, I stand for mine, and here this is allowed. You yourself uses the term "standard anti-amigaworld rant", which actually says a lot IMO. It's something standard. Many people have these opinions. Why is that do you think?

But it's not important. I stand for my opinion about amigaworld to a 101%. However, I apologize if I offended anyone with an off-topic comment. Let's drop this and continue the discussion of differences about the various Amiga solutions instead! :-)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline meerschaum

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2003, 04:12:43 PM »
I suggest you wait to not risk spending your money on a less supported/inferior choice.

speak for yourself... Amiga.inc's the one with an auction selling off their office equipment, lawsuits from unpaid employees, and questions about 'who' is ceo.

@bloodline

I think you summed up AW perfectly...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2003, 04:21:16 PM »

meerschaum wrote:
I suggest you wait to not risk spending your money on a less supported/inferior choice.

speak for yourself... Amiga.inc's the one with an auction selling off their office equipment, lawsuits from unpaid employees, and questions about 'who' is ceo.

@bloodline

I think you summed up AW perfectly...

Maybe if Amigaworld had a special forum that was moderated by more open minded individuals (SlimJim, alx spring to mind)  and not Mike Bouma, more people would go there.

Offline SlimJim

• Show only replies by SlimJim
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2003, 05:00:26 PM »

bloodline wrote:

As a silent lurker on Amigaworld, I can say that the people there are very friendly (Yourself included Mr SlimJim), though they will avoid talking about MOS and AROS at all cost (I've not see anyone mention MOS or AROS as an alternative to AOS4 to any newbees asking questions).

Well, thankyou for the praise.
I don't agree with the statement that MOS and AROS are never mentioned to newbies, but I do agree that the percentage of people having an AmigaOne is higher "over there", and so it's quite natural people talk about what they know most about. People seem to think all posts on AW is bashing MOS/AROS and amiga.org. That's a silly notion and I would leave the site in an instant if that were so.

The Moderation is horrendus, I have seen with my own eyes posts with resonable questions deleted!! I almost felt like posting. But I won't for now, since Mr Bouma will probably just delete any Post with the nick Bloodline at the top.

I cannot comment on this, since I've never seen any
posts deleted that didn't deserve it. But then again,
I can't be everywhere either. I don't see why your posts should be deleted. Your posts are usually clear and well reasoned.

While I feel takemehomegrandma was a little harsh in his summation, I would generally agree with the theme of this post.

OK. You're free to have your own opinion.
SlimJim

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2003, 06:35:42 PM »

Okay guys, let's not turn this into an 'Is AmigaWord cool or does it suck?' thread. Please?  There are quite a few cross-members, and it isn't fair to them to have to defend each site on the other.
Regards,
Targhan

Offline XIII

• Show only replies by XIII
    • http://www.X111.com
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2003, 07:46:35 PM »
Duck! Newbie aboard.
Thanks Pebbles for asking the questions that have been troubling me these past few weeks and thanks takemehomegrandma for the answers that got me to sign up. Looks like a good vibe here (yeah, I've seen the occasional flames here and at the 'other' site, I prefer to lurk for a while before I sign up ;) ).
I'm still not sure which system has my preference, and who knows, if they're both good I'll probably buy both. The only thing worrying me about MorphOS is that I'm not quite sure why I'd want a few dozen OS'es for the Pegasos, and will all this porting be at the expense of MOS development in the long run?
And is anyone working on/can point me to a compatibility chart of old miggie soft which'll run on the Pegasos?

Anyway, good to finally be here, somehow posting on a site with amiga in the domain name makes me all warm and tingly again. Now all I need is a new system :-D

Offline DaveC

• Show only replies by DaveC
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2003, 07:59:46 PM »
http://www.morphzone.org/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=4 is a good start for compatability.  It lists quite a bit, and has links to other pages as well.  There is quite a bit of stuff that works with it, and I'm using Ibrowse and MiamiDX from MorphOS right now!! :-D

Oh yeah, they have a "do not install" list there too.  Basically, that list says "Do not install WorkBench patches." :lol:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2003, 07:59:51 PM »

XIII wrote:
Duck! Newbie aboard.
Thanks Pebbles for asking the questions that have been troubling me these past few weeks and thanks takemehomegrandma for the answers that got me to sign up. Looks like a good vibe here (yeah, I've seen the occasional flames here and at the 'other' site, I prefer to lurk for a while before I sign up ;) ).
I'm still not sure which system has my preference, and who knows, if they're both good I'll probably buy both. The only thing worrying me about MorphOS is that I'm not quite sure why I'd want a few dozen OS'es for the Pegasos, and will all this porting be at the expense of MOS development in the long run?

That porting is not done by Genesi itself, but by whatever parties want their OS's on the Pegasos.  It's how to subsidize OS development, by selling Pegasos machines to non-Amigans.  (Heck, I have one friend that's waiting for the OpenBSD port to be finished so he can buy a Peg2 for his home router/firewall.  And try out MorphOS and see what it's like, thereby getting him hooked and corrupt him to become an AMigan, muahaha)

And is anyone working on/can point me to a compatibility chart of old miggie soft which'll run on the Pegasos?

Morphzone.org has a nice forum where people try out various programs, and give how well they worked.

Anyway, good to finally be here, somehow posting on a site with amiga in the domain name makes me all warm and tingly again. Now all I need is a new system :-D

http://www.pegasosppc.com/purchase.php  8)
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.