Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Time to say goodbye.  (Read 9588 times)

Description:

Offline Damion

Re: Time to say goodbye.
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 04:01:59 AM »
Take care, Jar. Hope to see ya back again
someday. :-)

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2003, 04:54:49 AM »
@WarPiper

But he discussed the lack of AOS4 as the primary reason, which says that buying hardware is a definate.

Unless it's for his CyberstormPPC.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline DanDude

• Show only replies by DanDude
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2003, 05:04:01 AM »
Good things come to those who wait...

If you can wait until 2004, something good will come...

No, seriously, if you cannot wait any longer I believe you're giving up too soon.  I know, it sux mighty bad to keep waiting for OS4, but in the end it's gonna come.  It's just not gonna come as quickly as you thought.  I won't stand in your way.  Have fun.
 :-(
#AmIRC
mesra.dal.net or hotspeed.dal.net
irc2.beyondirc.net

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2003, 08:50:44 AM »
@ DanDude

When talking to people I get the impression that *a lot* of them are really tired of waiting, and not everyone is prepeared to wait forever. I say 3 months - if OS4 is not out there by then (preferably to the A1), then they could as well drop it. Now, don't get me wrong. I am very confident that OS4 will be out some day, but the question is how many early adopters there will be left to embrace it by then? People are moving on now ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline browny

• Show only replies by browny
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2003, 10:01:03 AM »
The amiga`s a drug, and Jar is an addict, so he will be back for more. :-D
as we say in brum \\"yow allright mate\\"

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2003, 10:05:42 AM »
I'll tell you a story.

My 2.26GHz P4 winxp is re-booting every 20 to 60 minutes because of the stupid msblast.exe virus.
It's 7K on the HD, but when it's running it is 2,628,000 to 3,100,000 bytes big!!!!! What kind of BS is that!?!

I was off of the net for 5 or 6 days because I couldn't re-install xp because I couldn't remember my password and didn't want to re-format the HD. It didn't look like it was going to let me anyway (re-format). I was off-line because of a different virus that norton anti-virus couldn't stop.
edit-
The virus was msmsgri32.exe, it was talked about in a different thread in the "Alternate Operating Systems" section, under "Remote Procedure Call terminated" problem. I tried to get rid of it manually, but eventually crashed the os. Serves me right, my password in xp was "password". :-(
-edit
I had to re-install 3 times, because I was trying to get out of re-installing my hardware drivers and games, but that never works. I thought I could just copy over the previous files, but ended up ruining the new installation which "only" took 45 minutes a pop. It takes 6 1.44 meg disks to get the system up and running that gives you about 40 ms-dos command, most of which don't allow wild carding, like for copy or delete. Then also, alot of directories didn't allow you to access, or erase them.

Then, after the install, I checked how many files are in question, in xp.

Turns out it's an insanity inducing,
561 directories, containing 9231 files!!!!
That's BEFORE umpteen huge drivers.

Then the crazy default swap file bulging out to 1.5 gigs (1.5 times the amount of ram you have.)

I realize that AOS has had it's fair share of virii, and it will always be with us, but my point is more toward the OS. NOTHING can keep me from getting an Amiga (4.0, that is), other than it not coming out.

It'll be SOOOOOOO nice having a fully functional OS below 30 megs, where you can almost memorize all of the names of the files that run it!

I'm sick of ms messenger poping up all the time, and how they totally buried the option where you turn it off. I found out on the web how turn it off, it wasn't "conveniently" mentioned in their help files. It's about seven layers in!!!

Every session with xp and 98se before it, has given me some reason to hate it more!!

Hmmmmm...I'm not sure if I said anything that's relavent,...just alotta steam! Sorry.

AmigaOne! Amiga, no compromise!
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline browny

• Show only replies by browny
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2003, 10:14:02 AM »
Let me tell you a story, I got my XP infected with the dropper.delf virus, and my AFG virus software could not kill it !.
It woul close the system down every time i tried to manually delete !.
then i went into dos and found that there was a `dropper.delf uninstall.exe, file. What the F**k is going on !.
I executed the uninstall file and all is well,but can someone tell me what tpye or `Trojan ` is this ?.
as we say in brum \\"yow allright mate\\"

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2003, 10:26:02 AM »

browny wrote:
Let me tell you a story, I got my XP infected with the dropper.delf virus, and my AFG virus software could not kill it !.
It woul close the system down every time i tried to manually delete !.
then i went into dos and found that there was a `dropper.delf uninstall.exe, file. What the F**k is going on !.
I executed the uninstall file and all is well,but can someone tell me what tpye or `Trojan ` is this ?.

Solution 1
Solution 2
Solution 3

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2003, 10:41:57 AM »

PS: I think I'll start an anti-AROS rant to counter bloodline's pro-AROS rants.

Until I can run my existing Amiga 68k binaries on AROS, it's vapour. There, it's out. Now I feel better.

It can. :-D

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2003, 12:53:18 PM »
So it is with sadness I bid you all goodbye. I haven't even been logging into Amiga.org for about 3 weeks now, so the writing has already been on the wall.

I know this feeling all too well mate. I gave up my A1200T and my A3000D and went to a PC.... Though not to Micro$haft Winblows.

You might want to try BeOS if you go to x86... certainly its a lot more fun than Windows ever was.

If you do so, let me know and I'll give you my old avatar and I'll offer you any help I can on how to tweek it etc.

I need to move on with my life, and once again put my Amiga-Love back in the closet...

Which is exactly where I put mine. All safe and sound waiting for the day they become antiques :-D

It's been fun.

It still can be mate, just cos you don't have an amiga, amiga inspired (MOS) based system doesn't mean that you're automatically blacklisted from this place, I suspect that if you asked the people on there what they run very few would be able to say Amiga only, or even Amiga!

Take heart dear friend, there is life after Amiga :-D
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2003, 01:00:45 PM »

bhoggett wrote:
I should add that I do have a geeky kind of interest in AmigaOS4 and MorphOS, but since I'm never likely to own the hardware required to run them they are never likely to have more than curiosity value for me.

Dunno, my Peggy is shaping up to be most of what i wanted in an AmigaNG. It's just like the old Amiga, only multiple times faster :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2003, 01:06:53 PM »

redrumloa wrote:

bhoggett wrote:
I should add that I do have a geeky kind of interest in AmigaOS4 and MorphOS, but since I'm never likely to own the hardware required to run them they are never likely to have more than curiosity value for me.

Dunno, my Peggy is shaping up to be most of what i wanted in an AmigaNG. It's just like the old Amiga, only multiple times faster :-o

I can vouch for that.  MorphOS is very good. Especially 1.4., my development board which is April-less has given me no problems that weren't my fault.  Eyetech/MAI are gonna have to come out with some serious price cuts and better board designs to make me buy one of their boards instead of a Peg2.

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2003, 01:15:41 PM »
@redrumloa

Dunno, my Peggy is shaping up to be most of what i wanted in an AmigaNG. It's just like the old Amiga, only multiple times faster

You're missing my point: if I'm going to invest in a completely separate hardware platform, I'd want to see it at least as successful in terms of userbase as the Mac is now.  In consequence, I'm not even going to consider buying an AmigaOne or a Pegasos for at least a couple of years, and even then it would depend on them being many times more successful than the Amiga market would indicate now.
Bill Hoggett

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2003, 01:18:31 PM »
You're missing my point: if I'm going to invest in a completely separate hardware platform, I'd want to see it at least as successful in terms of userbase as the Mac is now.

Mac? Oh wow, not in the coming years for sure that's a LONG way away. Now if you said QNX or Beos.. But Mac? Ouch.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2003, 01:29:04 PM »
@redrumloa

Mac? Oh wow, not in the coming years for sure that's a LONG way away. Now if you said QNX or Beos.. But Mac? Ouch.

That's the point, isn't it?

QNX or BeOS are not what I'd describe as top shelf, simply because they lack software support. I'm happy to run them in "trial" mode as secondary operating systems on my x86 box, but I wouldn't buy hardware specially for them.

Similarly, I'm quite willing to give AmigaOS4 and MorphOS a similar "trial", but since they require me to purchase the hardware before I can even use them, they won't even get tried.

I'm also interested in MacOS X, but since even that's not enough to make me buy a Mac, AOS4 and MOS will have to do even better to persuade me to buy the hardware they need to run on.
Bill Hoggett

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 14, 2003, 01:50:28 PM »

the_leander wrote:

You might want to try BeOS if you go to x86... certainly its a lot more fun than Windows ever was.

BeOS was nice, BUT:

For all fairness you have to say that BeOS is allmost as dead as AmigaOS. So if you'll use it you have to be carefull to purchase only supported hardware and to accept the fact that very little new software appear to it.

Ok. it's been dead less time than Amiga so it still have more active (and coding capable) supporters but there has been  no commercial OS release (one is rumoured to come 'soon')  of it in many years.