Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: anyone would like wizard of the orb ?  (Read 1255 times)

Description:

Offline rednovaTopic starter

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
anyone would like wizard of the orb ?
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
Dear Friends:

A long time ago I made wizard of the orb, rpg game for amiga, free PD in
aminet (wiz.lha). I am ready to start programming a new amiga geme (also free PD).
I am thinking about making a sequel to wizard of the orb, with all new gfx and text/story.
A new, different and original story.
Would anyone like to see a sequel to wizard of the orb ?
I will prob start programming in just a few days.
Any thoughts ?
-mobilis in mobile-

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: anyone would like wizard of the orb ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
I think everybody's interested in more Amiga homebrew.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
I'd call that a big yes.  Though one request.  One of the things I always thought was a good idea, but so few series / sequels do, is to make a sequel that can import your character(s) from the first game.

The Ultimas did it, though you really only got 10th of your experience and no items, but still you had that extra little start.  I know Chaos Strikes Back allowed you to import from Dungeon Master as well.  
I never understood why (besides maybe technical reasons) computer RPGs always felt like they had to start the character over.  I mean when you play real RPGs, you don't want to toss your character aside and start over every adventure!  Even Dead Island: Riptide lets you import your character, and I wouldn't consider that a hard core role-playing game.  More of a "I kill zombies and get better at it" game. :D

I'll have to try out Wizard of the Orb :D

slaapliedje
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:35:34 AM by slaapliedje »
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:21:11 AM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;739651
make a sequel that can import your character(s) from the first game.

All of the SSI "Gold Box" AD&D series games let you do that, even bringing your characters along through four or five different games, also Dragon Wars would let you import characters made in Bard's Tale.  Those are just a few I remember off the top of my head.  But yeah, more of that would be awesome.  :)  Going to check out your game tonight!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:30:20 AM »
Some of the Wizardry games did as well.  And I think one of them let you import characters from Ultima 3.  

At one point in time I had found a list of games that supported it, and it was tiny.  I didn't know the Gold Box ones let you, or maybe I thought only Pool of Radiance to Curse of the Azure Bonds let you.

That brings back a memory of some friends of mine.  My friend had Curse of the Azure Bonds on his C64, and one day I was over there playing it (had just started a game), and my friend who owned it said I had gotten further in one day (of playing it for maybe 2 hours) than the other friend had gotten in a week!  He really sucked at RPGs.  We played Wasteland at his house, me on his old crappy PC/jr with CGA graphics and he on the newer VGA machine, but since he didn't know how to balance his party out, he constantly died, so he copied my saved game and played from that!

Good times!

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline AAACHIPSET

• Show only replies by AAACHIPSET
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
actually id love to see someone  bring out new levels  for the old games  ..prob not legal  ..a hundred new lemmings  levels..?
A500 3.1/8meg/2gigscsi ...wants a 040
CD32/SX1/FMV/FLASHDRIVE/  wants sx32pro
A1200  os3.5 030/50/fpu/mmu/2flashdrives/cd/   indivision coming ..............wants a ppc/060  ACCEL :laughing: