Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Get off the beach! Tsunami coming!  (Read 21273 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
Re: Get off the beach! Tsunami coming!
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;621121
Do you live near the Pacific Ocean?

Then Grab your Amigas, get in the car and go inland now!

If your are in USA, it won't hit for several more hours but you need to beat the traffic jams!

I hope you make it.

@ChaosLord,

I just wanted to throw out a thank you to you for initiating the tsunami post here on A.org.

If not for your post, I would not have known the quake and tsunami had happened till quite some time later in the day. While there was no chance of me being effected up here in the hills, I have family and friends that live in several major fault areas and low lying areas around the pacific rim. Fortunately, it seems they are all fine and now my thoughts are for the people and fellow amiga users who may have been affected.

Once again... Thank you!

Regards,
AmigaEd
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline rebraist

• Show only replies by rebraist
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:58 AM »
Quote from: AmigaEd;621301
@ChaosLord,

I just wanted to throw out a thank you to you for initiating the tsunami post here on A.org.

If not for your post, I would not have known the quake and tsunami had happened till quite some time later in the day. While there was no chance of me being effected up here in the hills, I have family and friends that live in several major fault areas and low lying areas around the pacific rim. Fortunately, it seems they are all fine and now my thoughts are for the people and fellow amiga users who may have been affected.

Once again... Thank you!

Regards,
AmigaEd
this is the proof that "human race" is far long better than someone thinks.
I\'m not an heretic: an heretic is a morphos user! I\'m a perverted: i\'m an aros user!
edit:...i\'m now an heretic perverted... i\'m a morpharosian...
Evil has no limits... I\'ve even os4.1 too...
Is there in my house any space to sleep still?

Offline Mizar

• Show only replies by Mizar
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 01:08:15 AM »
Franko:

I understand cynicism of humanity, and there's a lot of reason for it in general.  But the truth is there's a sound reason for the human apathy you describe.  There is only so much one CAN care about and dedicate resources to for an extended time.  If you tried to be sympathetic to every disaster until it was reasonably resolved, nevermind every war, famine, etc., you'd go mad.  To say nothing of being drained of all resources; i.e. money, effort, time, etc., in a short time.  The fact is, it is not very practical to directly contribute on an individual basis.

But we are not helpless to do anything.  We certainly can contribute collectively, as members of our individual countries, with our "small" specialized contributions.  This adds up to a most significant national effort that can assist victims, and would not be possible without every individual aggregate contribution to support it.  For instance, the U.S. 7th fleet,  with their heavy lift capacity, is on their way to assist Japan.  That there isn't much we can do as individuals doesn't mean we don't care or have any sympathy.

Quote from: Franko;621283
Ok then... party pooper... :)

Point is we like to think we care about what ills befall others in this world and pacify our guilty feeling by commenting on it and making a donation to the latest relief effort...

But at the end of the day if we're really honest, unless it affects you or me directly then we don't really care about what happens to others whom we don't know or have ever met...

The proof of this is what are you doing right now as you sit on this forum typing your post and reading stuff about the Amiga and basically leading our lifes as we normally do...

Human beings are the most selfish creatures on the planet and nothing will ever change that so now that you've said your piece and made yourself feel a little better, then get on with life and stop pretending that anything you or I say here will make a difference...
Amiga Tech. A1200: Apollo 1230/40 MHz & 882/50 MHz, 32 MB fast RAM, WD 298 GB HD (320 SI GB), Sony 1760 KB floppy, Surf Squirrel SCSI-II & buffered  serial, Ricoh CDRW 6x4x24, USR 33.6 Kbps modem, MV1200 scan doubler, Compaq 17" SVGA, KS 3.1, OS3.9 BB1, Genesis 45.7, Miami 3.2b, AWeb 3.5.09 APL

C= A500: 68000, 512 KB chip, 512 KB fast, 880 KB floppy x 2, 1084S, KS 1.3, OS 1.3

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
Frankly, right now the thought of core meltdown occurring at possibly more than one nuclear power plant in Japan is what really scares me.
Anyone care to look up the size of the Chernobyl exclusion zone?
The earthquake was frightening. The tsunami was horrifying.
But containment breech at nuclear plants?

God save the people of Japan.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:10 AM »
Human beings are the most selfish creatures on the planet and nothing will ever change that so now that you've said your piece and made yourself feel a little better, then get on with life and stop pretending that anything you or I say here will make a difference...
Franko I'm not totally discounting your sentiments on what people do or  not do when others are suffering, but being an emergency worker myself  and have been evolved in natural disaster responses near and far I can  speak first hand that many people are not sitting idle by and watching  as the news is delivered to them on this or any disaster.  When Hurricane  Katrina hit us in 2005 our deployment team saw many examples of humanity  reaching to those who were stricken severely by the devastating storm.   Clothes, food, medical attention (doctors working from RV's), showers,  you name it.  Who needed FEMA, for people like you and me were leading the  charge and lending the helping hand of hope.  

So, Franko I would like for you to know that goodwill is a live and well  and I believe most certainly that goodwill will reach the people of  Japan.  I also believe that if a disaster hit close to your home that  you would extend that same hand of hope to someone who needed it.  

To everyone here commenting on this disaster do not feel any guilt for doing so.  Donations of any kind are appreciated from those who have lost everything, I know I have seen people cry when given a fresh cup of water and some flipflops to place on their feet.  Very very sobering.  

The Dawg
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline Iggy

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 02:44:01 AM »
Quote from: Firedawg;621317
Franko I'm not totally discounting your sentiments on what people do or  not do when others are suffering, but being an emergency worker myself  and have been evolved in natural disaster responses near and far I can  speak first hand that many people are not sitting idle by and watching  as the news is delivered to them on this or any disaster.  When Hurricane  Katrina hit us in 2005 our deployment team saw many examples of humanity  reaching to those who were stricken severely by the devastating storm.   Clothes, food, medical attention (doctors working from RV's), showers,  you name it.  Who needed FEMA, for people like you and me were leading the  charge and lending the helping hand of hope.  

So, Franko I would like for you to know that goodwill is a live and well  and I believe most certainly that goodwill will reach the people of  Japan.  I also believe that if a disaster hit close to your home that  you would extend that same hand of hope to someone who needed it.  

To everyone here commenting on this disaster do not feel any guilt for doing so.  Donations of any kind are appreciated from those who have lost everything, I know I have seen people cry when given a fresh cup of water and some flipflops to place on their feet.  Very very sobering.  

The Dawg

Thank you. I too suffer from a chronic disappointment in my fellow man. But it is exactly at times like this that I see the words and actions of people like you and it help bolster me in times of such horror.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 02:54:14 AM »
Godzilla jokes are out too?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;621319

Damn right. Godzilla never caused this much damage! Besides you kind of always root for Godzilla.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 03:34:58 AM »
What about King Kong? That movie was a disaster! :hammer:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 04:24:47 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;621319

Godzilla was originally a metaphor for nuclear destruction, so I guess it'd be in bad taste :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:27 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;621323
What about King Kong? That movie was a disaster! :hammer:

No, Japan was a disaster.
King Kong was yet again another suck ass remake of a 1931 classic.
Freakin Jack Black! What was Peter Jackson thinking?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 04:34:34 AM »
Quote from: runequester;621328
Godzilla was originally a metaphor for nuclear destruction, so I guess it'd be in bad taste :)

Again, one is fantasy and the violence and destruction are entertaining, the other is a sequence of horrifying natural disasters and potential nuclear catastrophes.

This shit ain't funny guys. I live near the coast and a nuke plant.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;621331
Again, one is fantasy and the violence and destruction are entertaining, the other is a sequence of horrifying natural disasters and potential nuclear catastrophes.

This shit ain't funny guys. I live near the coast and a nuke plant.

That reminds me, any news from the nuclear plant that is having trouble?

Last I read, they were having issues cooling it, due to power loss, but I dont know if anything is confirmed yet.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 04:45:32 AM »
The Japanese government officially declared a Nuclear Emergency for those reactors.
The main cooling was knocked off-line.  The backup generators we taken out by the Tsunami, so they are cooling with batteries basically, from what I hear.

They released some radioactive steam from at least one of the reactors to aid in its cooling, but apparently nothing that was too high a level...

If they can manage to get the cooling back under control, they should be OK.

It's not likely to become a Chernobyl, but if they can't get it cooled, it could become a 3-Mile Island type of event.

No, IANANS (I am not a Nuclear Scientist), just been googling today.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 05:05:08 AM »
Quote from: desiv;621334
The Japanese government officially declared a Nuclear Emergency for those reactors.
The main cooling was knocked off-line.  The backup generators we taken out by the Tsunami, so they are cooling with batteries basically, from what I hear.

They released some radioactive steam from at least one of the reactors to aid in its cooling, but apparently nothing that was too high a level...

If they can manage to get the cooling back under control, they should be OK.

It's not likely to become a Chernobyl, but if they can't get it cooled, it could become a 3-Mile Island type of event.

No, IANANS (I am not a Nuclear Scientist), just been googling today.

desiv

Basically, if they lose cooling, they've got about one hour. then it very much is like Chernobyl - Core meltdown, containment failure, very ugly.

They're already near the TMI stage - venting radioactive steam, an unknown level of damage inside the containment vessels.

This is a more serious situation than they are letting on.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 12, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;621331
I live near the coast and a nuke plant.

Really? That's convenient. The nuke plant could grow you fins and gills and you could just swim away in the event of flooding! :roflmao:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.