Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Excitement about NatAmi  (Read 48644 times)

Description:

Offline DCAmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by DCAmiga
Excitement about NatAmi
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Greetings All,

I am a big Amiga fan and loved my A-500 with an expanded HD, I thought I would share something a stumbled into recently.. and from what i have read the MX board my be released around Christmas.

http://www.natami.net/index.htm

The NatAmi Project
This hardware project is dedicated to the still innovative system architecture of the Commodore AMIGA computer.

The basic concept is straight: Get the original Amiga design up-to-date.

The NatAmi approach is to rebuild the original system

• without emulation
  • without abstraction layers
  • without legacy drawbacks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:40:48 AM by SysAdmin »
Amiga 500, 1/2 Meg Trap Door, RocTec HD, Slim External Floppy (DF1), KS Switcher: KS 1.3 & KS 2.04 (1987-1995)
PeeCee Box, W7 - WinUAE
Dell Inspiron 14R - laptop
Sony PS3
Sony PSP
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo 3DS

Offline CSixx

• Show only replies by CSixx
Re: Forget the X-1000 or Sam Board
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:56:02 PM »
Should have searched before posting this...
There are lots of threads on the Natami, and alot of people waiting :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
Where is the link stating it may be available by this Xmas?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »
Hmm.

In the forums, I see the usual requests/demands in broken english to add this or that feature, or gushing about how beloved Natami is (despite not, you know, existing except as a couple of sample units).

In the "news" section, there's a link to a youtube video from May.

PERHAPS THE AWESOME POWER OF THE NATAMI ALLOWS THE OP TO POST FROM THE FUTURE.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:28 PM »
Shayne Fotheringhame post from the Natami forums:

11 Oct 2010 07:53

Hi guys.. been watching this forum for a looong time now.. thought I'd make my first post.
Surely any true amiga fan would have adopted an immunity to impatience many many years ago lol..
As much as I greatly anticipate any form of update, whether the natami is released this christmas, next year or sometime in the next decade even - I'll be buying it on day one =)

.......Tripitaka says:

I couldn't have put it better myself, so I didn't bother trying. Man, I don't care if it's Clone A, Minimig AGA or Natami. Thanks to anyone goes out from me to all who spend time that they could be doing other things, for our hobby. If your not contributing you shouldn't be complaining, if you are you should know better. END!
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline rebraist

• Show only replies by rebraist
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »
from natami website:

"The Natami will not be a competitor to a Wintel Desktop machine, nor will it be a PlayStation 3 killer."<=> another useless hardware?

From the goals (natami website)
beeing an Amiga compatible design
have the original AmigaOS, binary OS replacements and Amiga applications running
enable playing new and classic Amiga games

I can do these things with uae or my original a500 and a1200.

i would have expected something more by an "updated" amiga than a future capability to play divx...
weird, and at its best nice for retro lovers.
But i'll keep my touch on aros. It's 2010 (almost 2011)
I\'m not an heretic: an heretic is a morphos user! I\'m a perverted: i\'m an aros user!
edit:...i\'m now an heretic perverted... i\'m a morpharosian...
Evil has no limits... I\'ve even os4.1 too...
Is there in my house any space to sleep still?

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
Very realistic goals and description.  It for those who believe in having Amiga hardware but fast and better.  Most of the Amiga electronic components are 20 years old or so and held together with duck tap.  Buying a NatAmi will get you another 20 years or so on hardware.  By then your 10000 cored beast main computer will be running UAE at insane speeds, probably so fast that if you blink you'll miss it, and it'll be time to hang up the old hardware....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
We already know about the Natami. They have a team who invite you to be a part of it, then kick you out without explanation, and they remove the posts of experienced and respected Amiga coders from their forum. What a wonderful group of people they are! Already a lot of my friends have decided to not make Natami-enhanced versions of their games anymore, and I'm sure others will drop support once they realise how badly the team is running things.

I used to have unlimited enthusiasm and hope for the Natami, I enjoyed clearing things up about the project with people and explaining more about it in detail, convincing doubters that it's a good idea afterall, encouraging the Amiga coders I meet all around the world that they should think about SuperAGA-enhanced versions of their games. I'm working on games of my own which would have had much nicer graphics if we were still going to make a Natami version. But the Natami team thinks I'm so useless they should just kick me out without telling me why.

I wonder how well they'll do now when so many of their supporters are losing faith in the project because of the bad team management.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:12 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;584120
We already know about the Natami. They have a team who invite you to be a part of it, then kick you out without explanation, and they remove the posts of experienced and respected Amiga coders from their forum. What a wonderful group of people they are! Already a lot of my friends have decided to not make Natami-enhanced versions of their games anymore, and I'm sure others will drop support once they realise how badly the team is running things.

I used to have unlimited enthusiasm and hope for the Natami, I enjoyed clearing things up about the project with people and explaining more about it in detail, convincing doubters that it's a good idea afterall, encouraging the Amiga coders I meet all around the world that they should think about SuperAGA-enhanced versions of their games. I'm working on games of my own which would have had much nicer graphics if we were still going to make a Natami version. But the Natami team thinks I'm so useless they should just kick me out without telling me why.

I wonder how well they'll do now when so many of their supporters are losing faith in the project because of the bad team management.

Okay, dish.  What the heck went down?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Tension

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;584120

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:57:28 AM by Argo »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
@Cammy

I'm not surprised at all.

I saw big problems with NatAmi project early on, and IIRC voiced my concerns (in my typically cheerful manner) sometime around June 2008. Even hobby projects deserve proper management.

If the management finds out that someone doesn't fit the role first envisioned there are numerous things to do (encourage the individual to learn about the needed stuff, have the individual take some small projects in which to develop oneself, try find a more suitable task(s) fitting the skill profile etc) before totally kicking someone out. Even if it comes to that, deciding to let someone go completely, it should be done in honest and tactful way. No one deserves to be kicked out without any explanation.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:29:29 PM by Piru »

Offline Cammy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
That's really funny, Tension. How come just about any time you post something, it's nasty? I had never directed any of my posts towards you before, yet you have attacked me in the past, and now you attack me again? By the way, what's so "pfffffffft" about a new audio recording application for Aros? Care to explain why the Natami team may think I'm mental, and why that's grounds enough to kick me out of a team I was invited to?
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
Quote from: Tension;584125
Maybe they thought you were mental.

Was that really called for?
int p; // A

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;584061

PERHAPS THE AWESOME POWER OF THE NATAMI ALLOWS THE OP TO POST FROM THE FUTURE.

Isn't that where all these posts are coming from?? I hear Vanilla Ice is cutting his new album on a Natami. :roflmao:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
One word: Vapourware
Go Go Gadget Signature!