Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sandboxing a windows browser? Effective?  (Read 1482 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Sandboxing a windows browser? Effective?
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 20, 2013, 02:50:11 AM »
Using old software is a sin and terrorists could turn your computer into a bomb.

No, just kidding.
And to be intentionally repetitive, I don't even worry about it.

Btw - There is a drive to develop an open XP like OS.

Personally, I am none to fond of any OS that I couldn't give it up.
I just don't see the point in paying repeatedly for yet another derivitive of NT.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 02:54:26 AM »
I am running the latest virtual box. I meant to install most of my software to that, so all the extra stuff that installs along with your programs would not be slowing down the system while not in use.
Also it reads iso files, so I don't have to bother with discs.

However, because the virus scanner slows down the machine anyway I didn't bother making a virtual install for web surfing.
If some of the software you want to try is really nasty use a different machine with a basic install. Easy to fix.

I found Win 7 became as unstable as XP after new software and hardware came along.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 02:56:49 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;754761
Btw - There is a drive to develop an open XP like OS.
ReactOS? Yeah, but it's been in alpha forever...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »
The devil chicken has some good ideas.
Frankly, and Chris could testify to this, I keep so much computer crap around that if I brick one up with malware I can easily switch to something else.

And as OS go, I am looking for a excuse to explore something more exotic.
An eightcore AMD processor under Linux, a Sparc box with an X86 card under Solaris, Open BSD, something, hell anything, but Windows.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
As I read more online about sandboxing, I am learning that both IE and Chrome have sandboxing built-in.

Firefox doesn't, currently, but the developers are working on something similar to sandboxing.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 03:07:12 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;754763
ReactOS? Yeah, but it's been in alpha forever...

True, but look at AROS.
Much smaller OS, still not at V1.0.

And I would love to see at NT compatible open OS.
We could take that, focus on Open GL instead of Direct X, and run (away from Microsoft) with it.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see ReactOS in a complete, usable state, it's just that I've been waiting for years now...good thing I didn't hold my breath...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:00 AM »
Just thought of one potential hitch...

If one is running a browser in a sandbox, can the browsing protection feature of the system's anti-virus software still monitor it? Or are the two completely isolated from each other?  If the latter , then sandboxing a browser would be slightly self defeating in this regard.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:31:05 AM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:50 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;754772

If one is running a browser in a sandbox, can the browsing protection feature of the system's anti-virus software still monitor it? Or are the two completely isolated from each other?  If the latter , then sandboxing a browser would be slightly self defeating in this regard.

In theory, I believe you could install a virus scanner inside the Sandbox...

...though I don't know why you would. EVERYHTING you do, unless backed up before closing, becomes lost forever and does not transfer to your OS proper.

As for me, I'm back to using Linux Mint for my internet needs and my Windows machine stays offline and dedicated soley to Audio/Video Editing, Video Game Design, and Gaming.
Keeps life simple, though for course dedicated machines isn't for everyone.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:37:15 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;754772

When you think of it all the effort to do this vs the risk of exposure or incident, I don't think its worth it. If you're that worried about browsing use one device to do that and keep your other machines locked down. Maybe even disable ports 80 and 443 on your FW(Good luck with that BTW). In any case my view is  effort out ways the exposure.  Unless you're often going online stoned or drunk or to naughty websites. Behavior is the best defense.