Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support  (Read 15091 times)

Description:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.som99.se
I must say this is great news, since Piru has convinced me to give MorphOS a go :)

The eMac support is great for me, since its a affordable choice for me to try the OS out :)
To bad it only supports the 1,25GHz revisions since a friend of mine could give me a 1,42 rev :/

So now ill look into buying a supported eMac when I got time and then replace the CRT monitor with a 17" TFT, tho my time is limitet due to many other projects and that I work this entire summer.

but ill try to give this a go as fast as I can, and kudos to the MorphOS team for their hard work!

just one question, if I buy MorphOS and I like it and want to buy a Mac mini instead, can I then discard the OS on the eMac and use the license on the Mac mini? Wihout any additional charge if I can prove im not using it on the eMac anymore?

Edit: also I know this is the wrong place for this question and I could search around for the info, but im browsing on my nokia N97 and ill just give it a shot here, does Payback run under MorphOS? ive read it can run with some work on AmigaOS 4.x.

thanks for reply.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:04:13 PM by som99 »

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Public Release of MorphOS 2.5 & Introduction of eMac Support
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;562864
No.

The license is tied to the hardware, not to you.

You can however sell the hardware with the registered OS bundled, and recover money for a new registration that way.

Thanks for the reply!
well sounds fair, I guess I would not have alot trouble selling a eMac rebuild with a TFT with MorphOS at a decent price :) Since a eMac is cheep and I got spare  17" TFTs and trashed PSUs for them, I wont loose much money and I do not take proffit :)

But ill see what happens, I might just be satesfied with a eMac.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:11:31 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;562873
Either or.  Anything "pro" and at least G4 and preferrably G5.  It doesn't sound like the G5 is planned on being supported though.  The license being tied to the machine is the biggest issue.  This forces the issue if the old beater mac I picked up to run an OS that costs almost as much as Windows 7 goes south, I get to sink money into it for repair as opposed to go getting another cheap mac to replace it.

well I guess if the license was not tied to a single machine they would suffer alot from piracy mabe?
For MS etc they can live with it, but MorphOS as small userbase as they have it would hurt them alot?

Then if you like w7 then buy it, I would never spend a single penny on windows when I can get Linux for free and do whatever I like with the source.

Myself will buy MorphOS when I got time for a eMac, I think their hard work deserves support.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;562873
Either or.  Anything "pro" and at least G4 and preferrably G5.  It doesn't sound like the G5 is planned on being supported though.  The license being tied to the machine is the biggest issue.  This forces the issue if the old beater mac I picked up to run an OS that costs almost as much as Windows 7 goes south, I get to sink money into it for repair as opposed to go getting another cheap mac to replace it.

well I guess if the license was not tied to a single machine they would suffer alot from piracy mabe?
For MS etc they can live with it, but MorphOS as small userbase as they have it would hurt them alot?

Then if you like w7 then buy it, I would never spend a single penny on windows when I can get Linux for free and do whatever I like with the source.

Myself will buy MorphOS when I got time for a eMac, I think their hard work deserves support.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;562877
Says who ? MorphOS does support these atleast by Apple's system-ID, so it will atleast boot.
MorphOS also supports Radeon9600s, just only as 2D.

So burn that CD, visit your friend and give it a try.....

Well just because hes my friend dosent mean we live close by, so the shipping of an eMac would be atleast half its value and thats more then im willing to pay just to try it out before I get a green light that it works on a Radeon 9600 ^^ where I live I can get a supported eMac for nearly nothing and I wont have to pay shipping since a few sellers live close enough :)

So I rather buy a supported and working eMac then gammble with the 1,42GHz one.

but still I have to wait untill my TC project is done and a few other minor projects so I have space for it :) My wife and I have a deal that I have to finnish my projects before starting on new ones since I allready take up tons of space in our small house ^^

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 05:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Mr_DBUG;562992
These days I feel less and less comfortable with Linux as well.. Im sure theres no problem to spy on inexperienced Linux users like me if some hackergroup wanted to ..

What are you talking about?
Why are you afraid anyone would like to spy on you?
Set up a linux server at home wich acts as a Fire wall then use linux on your end computer and I can tell you that you are quite safe.

It's alot of work to get into a safe up to date Linux system, can't realy see any reasons for some "random hacking group" to jump into your computer just for the kicks of it.