Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FFmpeg + FFplay SVN-r18880 (m68k)  (Read 19350 times)

Description:

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: FFmpeg + FFplay SVN-r18880 (m68k)
« on: May 22, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »
Quote from: Piru;455693
The old applications will continue to use the old ixemul.library and work adequately, as before.

There is no such thing as an old ixemul.library that works adequately.

Every ixemul I ever tested was a hopelessly bug-ridden hack.

I found all that out the hard way. :(

Recently people have been insisting at me that it has become safe to once again start using ixemul software if I will only use Bernd's new bugfixed version.  But today I see that Piru has exposed at least 1 bug in Berndemul.

I even created my own ixesux.library to try to "go around" the problems of ixemul and that did fix one set of problems but other problems persisted if someone used ixemul and ixesux at the same time they magically conflicted with each other.  There is some heavily illegal code in there somewhere.  That is why I said above it is "hopeless".  Nobody is ever going to spend the needed 200 hours of work to fix all the bugs in ixemul.

So I simply refuse to use ixemul software.

The above message was a friendly informational message.
Warning: if anyone flames me for this message I will cease & desist from trying to help out with the Grand Ixemul Problem.

Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline ChaosLord

• Show all replies
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: FFmpeg + FFplay SVN-r18880 (m68k)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »
Background:
The version number problem with ixemul has been around since before Bernd came onto the scene.  Probably since before MOS.
There have always been certain programs that required vA of ixemul.library while others demanded vB.  When the new vB version of ixemul was used certain older programs stopped working correctly.  But switching back to vA did not solve everything either.  Some other different programs broke under vA.  Its been a long standing problem.

This same thing has happened with lots of other shared libraries also.  Basically any complex library that gets steady development over time seems to develop this problem eventually.  The more coders that work on the library the more likely it seems to be to occur.

PROBLEM: Libraries are Global.
The filename "ixemul.library" is global.
The code inside ixemul.library is global.

ixemul.library can be considered to be one gigantic global variable.
This is all true for any shared library.

When 2 different people write 2 different programs that expect a particular global variable to behave differently, there will be bugs and crashes.

SOLUTION: Stop using global variables.  Use local variables instead.
Everyone who wants "ixemul" functionality must link in a static .lib (ixemul.lib) into their exe.

That is the only solution that will ever work 100% for everyone.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA