Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gotek floppy emulator drive stopped working  (Read 2678 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaBrunoTopic starter

Gotek floppy emulator drive stopped working
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:47:57 PM »
I've fitted a Gotek floppy emulator drive plugged into the df0: socket on my A1200 (in 2015), but it now seems unable to read the 8Gb USB stick I copied lots of ADF files onto, probably in 2015 and 2016, although I can read these files when I plug it into my laptop. I've also tried copying some ADF files onto a 16Gb USB stick I bought last year, but it doesn't work with that at all. Some indications are that when the old USB stick is inserted it shows a number on the three digit display, but when the newer USB stick is inserted, it just shows a series of dashes, the same as when there's no USB stick inserted at all. I suppose it may just be that the Amiga firmware on the Gotek drive doesn't support 16Gb sticks and has been deleted or corrupted. If that's the case, then how can I reflash it? What can I connect it to in order to achieve this? I hope to sort this out as quickly and as cheaply as possible. To cap it all, I've also managed to break my PCMCIA 2Mb RAM card, so I can't do all that much with my A1200 at the moment! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:53:59 PM by AmigaBruno »

Re: Gotek floppy emulator drive stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
Sorry, but I formatted the newer stick as FAT32 before copying some ADF files onto it, so it's not that.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
I forgot exactly how the Gotek drive works. I've now found out from a seller of these devices on eBay (who may or may not be the same seller I bought it from) that this drive requires a file called selector.adf on any USB stick to enable it to work. I suppose this was originally sent to me in an eBay message or via email. I'm waiting for a reply from the seller about this. I hope he sends me a copy of selector.adf. If he doesn't, does anyone on here know where I can get a copy of this file? It looks like there's a copy on https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/ but when I click on the link on that page, instead of downloading the file, all I get is a binary listing of it.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
I've managed to find a version of the all important filing system file selector.adf on the Polish language forum https://www.ppa.pl/forum/amiga/30949/selector-adf-potrzebuje which I had to translate in Google Chrome. The message containing a link to this file was dated 12-09-2014, so I hope this version of the file will work. I now plan to set up my Amiga A1200 later today, then copy this file onto two USB sticks, the original 8Gb USB stick which was working before, as well as a 16Gb stick which I bought last year to see if this solves my problem. I'll let you know how I get on. Meanwhile any advice about where else there are copies of this file for download, or any other advice about the Gotek floppy emulator would be welcome!  :)

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:27 AM »
I'm afraid I fell asleep before I could try and set up my Amiga with a new copy of selector.adf. I also had a message from eBay saying...

"From here:

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com/

Be aware that each version of the firmware has it's own version of selector.adf."

This creates even more confusion! I hope I can find out which version of selector.adf matches my firmware. I don't know how I can check which version of the firmware I've got. I only know I bought the Gotek device in 2015.