Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1000 + A2091, SCSI<>IDE<>CF reader probs  (Read 1355 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
A1000 + A2091, SCSI<>IDE<>CF reader probs
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »
In a "good enough" world, I was really hoping I would be able to use a CF card on my A1000 and A2500 to transfer files to and fro, but ... seems I am asking and expecting too much. Goofy results even on the A2500, even though my card reader is a SanDisk! Please read on. On the A1000, am trying to get her w/ A2091 to play correctly with a SCSI to IDE to CF adapter. I bought the latest ones that everyone else has bought and are using:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250422454857&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230334934646&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

...but am having a helluva time getting my A2091 w/ 7.0 ROMS to cooperate with the SCSI<>IDE adapter. For media, I am using a Sandisk 512mb & 2gb Ultra II. When I go to format the HD, I always get an error. The computer will freeze and after some playing around, I can finally get the partitions to show on the desktop as xxxx:NDOS.  Of course, when I try to format there too, system locks up and that's all she wrote. And yes, I'm keeping the partitions well within the confines of FFS.

Is this a simple matter of me trying to use Kickstart and Workbench 1.3 with this setup?
I've tried everything else. Jumper settings, HDinstTools, etc. Configuring the SCSI<>IDE was pretty straightforward. You HAVE to set that thing up to be device 6 AND SCSI transfer or else the Amiga will not even pretend you've got anything hooked to her.

Weird thing is too... when plugging either one of those CF cards into a reader that Poseidon recognises on my A2500, all sorts of screwy things happen. 3/4 of the time, the card and partitions do not show. I've got to play around with the settings in order for the usbscsi.device to work semi-properly, but I'll eventually run into trouble copying things to the partitions. Seems I had to change the max rate from 2mb to 512kb or something like that in Poseidon to get them to show the first time.

Oh - and it would appear that the 2091 does not even like a simple 50<>68-pin adapter hooked to her! Only way I can successfully use this SCSI interface card is with an old fashioned 50-pin drive. I suspect something is going on adapter wise. Why else the 2019 no likey these things? And again, I tried the 2 different jumper settings on the 2091 and even the autoboot option. Nothing seems to work.

Going on a week now, thought I could figure out these 2 problems, but need some expert help please!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:33:05 PM by save2600 »

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
Re: A1000 + A2091, SCSI<>IDE<>CF reader probs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
Are these real sandisk cards?(can you register them online?
Im using GVP card with same setup but only sandisk card works.
Other cards reported "write failed", some even in hdtoolbox, some (emtec, yay, burn it!) after few kilobytes was saved on it when it starts to looks promising :/
too lazy to use shift key properly...

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Re: A1000 + A2091, SCSI<>IDE<>CF reader probs
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
Quote from: Chain;456765
Are these real sandisk cards?(can you register them online?
Im using GVP card with same setup but only sandisk card works.
Other cards reported "write failed", some even in hdtoolbox, some (emtec, yay, burn it!) after few kilobytes was saved on it when it starts to looks promising :/

Yes - REAL, legit SanDisk cards. All were store bought at OfficeMax, Staples, etc. After being burned by these Asian counterfeit sellers claiming they are shipping from N.Y., I only buy removable media from brick and mortar  :-(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:27:04 PM by save2600 »