Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OpenPCI now under GPL license  (Read 1772 times)

Description:

Offline Alexco

• Show only replies by Alexco
Re: OpenPCI now under GPL license
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 16, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
Maybe I am blind, but for me the code looks like it is just support for Prometheus PCI bridge included. Where can I find the G-Rex support code?

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
Quote from: Acill;808588
Saving the code is a good thing, I didn't realize the original OpenPCI wasn't being maintained any longer. Doesn't anyone on the MorphOS and AROS teams do development on it? I thought both were using it as the solution for PCI card expansion.

I'm not sure on either of those.

I think the source was given to the Aros guys at one point and they either modified it a lot or went a different route.

Aros might not be a bad new target if it isn't supported already though. Sharing more drivers and open APIs is never a bad thing for any platform.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »
Quote from: Alexco;808595
Maybe I am blind, but for me the code looks like it is just support for Prometheus PCI bridge included. Where can I find the G-Rex support code?

I put up exactly what was given to me and at the time I received it, I was intending to support my new PCI backplane with it. (a project I've since put on the backburner in favor of software projects)

I haven't really looked into exactly what is included in this archive beyond what I needed to know at the time.

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
    • Show only replies by SnkBitten
    • http://amithlon.snkbitten.com
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
Semi-related, is there any info on creating an openpci device driver available?  I'd love to have an openpci_8169.device driver so I can replace the 10/100 8139 card I'm using now in my Amithlon system with an 10/100/1000 8169 card I have.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;808598
Semi-related, is there any info on creating an openpci device driver available?  I'd love to have an openpci_8169.device driver so I can replace the 10/100 8139 card I'm using now in my Amithlon system with an 10/100/1000 8169 card I have.

Yes, there has been an SDK available on the original homepage and possibly Aminet as well. That should still work even with a newer OpenPCI.library when available.

I will be uploading that to github as well as adding an additional example driver for the 8139 that makes use of DMA.

That sounds like a great use of the SDK. If you get it completed, please consider making it open source and releasing the code for others to learn from.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 02:41:29 AM »
I've just changed the license to LGPL at Jason McMullen's suggestion.

There are serious problems with GPL libraries on Amiga-like OSs.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;808618
I've just changed the license to LGPL at Jason McMullen's suggestion.

There are serious problems with GPL libraries on Amiga-like OSs.

i thought openpci is of no use for aros. has that changed?

Offline AltRN8

• Show only replies by AltRN8
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 03:00:59 AM »
Wasn't OpenPCI also used on amithlon builds?

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
    • Show only replies by SnkBitten
    • http://amithlon.snkbitten.com
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
Quote from: AltRN8;809600
Wasn't OpenPCI also used on amithlon builds?

Yes, OpenPCI could be used for a few devices on Amithlon.  Some PCI sound and network cards and I think a few USB PCI cards.

I used it for a Realtek 8139 PCI card for awhile.

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
since Prometheus PCI ist opensource, maybe someone want´s to build them new or use parts of it, to create new cards  ?

http://krashan.ppa.pl/articles/prometheus/
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing:

Offline AltRN8

• Show only replies by AltRN8
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »
One reason there may not be much movement around the open Prometheus PCI is that the current firmware is pretty limited and lacks PCI to PCI DMA. I know Michael Böhmer developed a newer version with this capability. I've heard a few people have gotten their Prometheus cards upgraded. If that firmware was released more widely I think there would be some renewed interest. In theory that was going to happen at some point as can be seen here: http://www.e3b.de/prometheus/

Sadly, this was from some time ago so I don't think it is going to happen.

Offline Rotzloeffel

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:21 PM »
Quote from: AltRN8;809615
One reason there may not be much movement around the open Prometheus PCI is that the current firmware is pretty limited and lacks PCI to PCI DMA. I know Michael Böhmer developed a newer version with this capability. I've heard a few people have gotten their Prometheus cards upgraded. If that firmware was released more widely I think there would be some renewed interest. In theory that was going to happen at some point as can be seen here: http://www.e3b.de/prometheus/

Sadly, this was from some time ago so I don't think it is going to happen.

uhhh.... no! I did some Betatesting 2 Years ago for a new .card and .chip driver for the voodoo 3, wich was developed by Matatabs. The reason for this Picasso96 Driver was to ensure, that it works with BOTH Models of the Prometheus PCI (with and without DMA) an there ARE or WERE Plans to setup a new version of the Prometheus by Michael..... but I have no idea about the actual project-status..... Prototypes are existing AFAIK

Maybe we should ask him?
Save Planet Earth! It is the only one in the galaxy with fresh and cold beer :laughing: