Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the WORST tune you have ever listened to???  (Read 1872 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: What is the WORST tune you have ever listened to???
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 20, 2004, 06:23:26 AM »
.... doof doof doof doof doof doof doof doof  ....

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2004, 11:51:26 AM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
'Everybody's Changing' by Keane.

Whoever the hell that is. I just know it gets played three times a day at work on the local radio station. It's the most infuriating song ever and I'm pretty sure the piano sample is out of key.

Whist I agree it's a bloody awful song to have to listen to, at least it actually can be called music. There's some chordal variation, structure etc. That's already way more than can be said for much of the crap today.

However, that piano (or whatever the hell it is) really does manage to have the same effect as someone scratching a chalkboard, doesn't it? :-D

I suspect most of the instruments in there are detuned slightly. Done properly, detuning can give a very nice results, eg. seperating a thick chorus of instruments playing in the same range. Alas whatever they did sounds frickin' terrible!
int p; // A

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »
"I hear that "Busted" have totally botched up the brilliant theme tune of Thunderbirds and turned it into an average "Busted" song."

Yep that's correct, I was gonna go see that movie until I found out they do the theme tune, needless to say I've now changed my mind! :-P
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2004, 08:59:44 PM »

Karlos wrote:
Whist I agree it's a bloody awful song to have to listen to, at least it actually can be called music. There's some chordal variation, structure etc. That's already way more than can be said for much of the crap today.
this I call a lousy argument. You expect a certain structure, and I think this is a very narrow view towards music (or other arts)

But I have to agree with you that popular music on the radio is utter crap for these reasons:

they're been played at moments you have no desire for that kind of music (one fancies a hot rave party in the morning with his coffee?)
They're been played so mindnumbingly often!
The ideas/concepts behind popular music has been chewed on dozens of times before and are way too simple.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Robert17

• Show only replies by Robert17
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 09:52:18 PM »
I quite like Spitting Games By Snow Patrol actually, and a couple of new songs by the streets, but that's it. 80s heavy metal all the way for me muhaha, rock & roll :-)
Member of the Lincs Amiga Group, UK :-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2004, 12:19:11 AM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

Karlos wrote:
this I call a lousy argument. You expect a certain structure, and I think this is a very narrow view towards music (or other arts)

You have your own definition of music and I have mine.

It's not a lousy argument just because you don't happen to agree. I don't *expect* any particular structure and I listen to a very wide variety of music. However, I do expect some structure and there is no need to adopt the presumptious role of "your'e narrow minded because you think something must be a particular way to be defined as such." Now that is a lousy argument :-D

As a hobbyist musician myself, I regard music as being more than a repetetive sound played over and over with no variation, progression.

The ideas/concepts behind popular music has been chewed on dozens of times before and are way too simple.

:lol: That's actually in direct contradiction of your first statement. How can it be too simple? Is that not expecting something in particular (eg a bit of complexity) of it in order for it to be acceptable?

BTW, don't take any of this personally, I'm just really fed up with most recent musical offerings ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2004, 01:04:29 AM »

Karlos wrote:
:lol: That's actually in direct contradiction of your first statement. How can it be too simple? Is that not expecting something in particular (eg a bit of complexity) of it in order for it to be acceptable?
hm, you're correct about that in the first place
I said it wrong, I had to say that there are actually two kinds of expectations: the real absolute abstract one you mentioned and the one I try to explain here:
Y'know, most of us expect to listen to music with a "western" set of sounds, rythms and structures. Sometimes with some little eastern or African influences.

Modern music and art are often condemned by many. This is because real new (experimental) types of music can very well conflict with the expectation to hear a western type of music.

I'm just really fed up with most recent musical offerings
I was that already when I was thirteen or so, for the exact reasons I mentioned.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'