Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ARGH! Help!  (Read 4765 times)

Description:

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
Re: ARGH! Help!
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 24, 2002, 09:18:38 PM »
Bah what do i care! hah!

:lol:
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2002, 09:32:31 PM »
Kronos Said .. and I

FORMAT C:

Much better to Fdisk .. If your gonna f.uck it f.uck it proper !!  ( Low level format on IDE anyone)
The Reluctant Pom

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2002, 09:38:14 PM »
There's some good info to be found on google when you search for netBIOS.. The name implies what it does, BIOS for networking;

netBIOS "facts"

turn off netBIOS

Tho; handle with care, if in doubt, don't follow these instructions and get a firewall.. There are plenty to choose from, even free ones (like mentioned ZoneAlarm is real good, as good as the ones you must pay for)...
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline hnl_dk

• Show only replies by hnl_dk
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2002, 09:38:36 PM »
Hejsa Blomberg

Har du haft prøvet at trykke "Ctrl Alt Delete", så kan du jo muligvis se hvilket program der kom med beskeden, hvorefter du kan søge efter programmet i registreringsdatabasen ;-)

And now for the rest:

Press "Ctrl Alt Delete" --> see which program gives you the message --> Find it in the registrationdatabase --> Kill it ;-)
Best regards,
Henning Nielsen Lund [Denmark]...

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2002, 10:00:28 PM »
Disable the Windows messenger service, You should also disable NetBIOS, and preferrably block UDP port 135 and TCP 137 + 139 (use Windows' firewall thingy if you haven't got a real one). If you've got a Windows/SMB network then that will break from doing the latter, but you shouldn't have that on an interface to the Internet anyway - but as we know even "professional" Windows versions like NT/XP come with absolutely everything enabled out of the box.

There was some hullabaloo on Slashdot over this recently, but their so-called search function is even more broken than usual, so I can't find it now.

Google comes up with e.g. these instructions on how to disable messaging.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2002, 10:05:49 PM »

hnl_dk wrote:

Press "Ctrl Alt Delete" --> see which program gives you the message --> Find it in the registrationdatabase --> Kill it ;-)

Since messenger is a (dis-)service (daemon for the *nix folks, or tjeneste for you Danes ;) ), I don't think it'll show up in the task manager, well, apart from the actual message window process. Even if it did, it'd still need to be shut down, never to be started again.

[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......