Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recommended room lights and wattage to minimize/slow down amiga yellowing  (Read 803 times)

Description:

Offline JumpdashTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jumpdash
Just bought a minty newish white looking amiga 500 and monitor, want to reduce the lighting or find the best one. I'm using the 9 watt and 12 watt LED bulbs in one central light holder at the top center of my ceiling in my games room. What is the best bulb and wattage (1 or 2 together) to minimize/reduce/slow down the yellowing for amiga and 1084 monitor.

I feel if the wattage is too low it becomes too dark and I can't see everything clearly in my room, and then maybe if it too much it could be too bright it could potentially increase the yellowing in a shorter period of time. What is best? Is my setup potentially risky and is the wattage too much? in terms of potentially accelerating the yellowing? The light does hit the amiga and monitor almost directly is been okay for the last weeks but sometimes I get a bit paranoid about it.

Offline scuzzb494

Yellowing is caused by the flame retardant in the paint reacting to heat and UV light.  Therefore if you avoid heat on the surface and use only LED lights then matters not what level of illiminance. Sadly the computer being warm is the biggest issue and also depends how much flame retardant was in the coating. Retrobriting does not eliminate the flame retardant. If you have a machine that after all these years is generally still grey'ish it'll probably stay that way. The keys are the things that suffer most from sunlight.

Anyway, your eyes are way more important than the computer so make sure you have a good level of lighting at all times.

I recently did a series o blogs on the discoloration of retro computers and cus I don't store my machines in boxes and try to keep them cool, dry and out of sunlight they all generally don't fade. If however you stick a computer in a box, in a warm location or in the path of sunlight it'll go yellow.

This is an A600 I bought off Ebay twenty years ago for one British pound and she's still white and has been sitting behind me here all that time. Out of sunlight, LED lamps and light tissue.

https://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_august23_1/car_sbd_060823_02.jpg

Also use a light tissue such as kitchen roll over your monitor and computer when not in use to avoid dust entering the casing, keys and ports. The kitchen roll is lightweight, allows the machine to breath and lets the heat dissipate. Anything heavier traps the heat. You are mainly trying to stop dust and insect attack. Spiders love warm computers.

Offline JumpdashTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jumpdash
Is LED 9 w and 12 w together and the amiga monitor and keyboard being almost directly under the lights ok?  the lights are on the top center ceiling, that does that contribute to heat? or not really? Lamp better,? it seems like a drag to do that...I'm willing to heard the truth just to preserve it...

Mine seems to be an early 1987 model, both the 1084 and the keyboard and was already mostly whitish, not 100 percent but very white/light beigish, and ntsc.. maybe they used better materials? I just want to take as many precautions as possible. Is there anything better I can do, watt or bulb type or position wise (lamp vs what I have set up where lights are stuck to center of the wall, I can't move desk)?