Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 3000 boot issues  (Read 10653 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: Amiga 3000 boot issues
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 23, 2021, 12:38:40 AM »
Another quick test: Try to fill up RAM: when you boot into 1.3 (i.e., just copy a bunch of files there).

The 3000 puts its SuperKickstart image into regular fast RAM (unlike the 1000 which has dedicated RAM for storing the Kickstart). Even though 1.3 appears to be working, it might simply be because the system isn't putting enough stuff into RAM to hit the "bad" sector. Under 2.0, in addition to a Kickstart that's double the size of 1.3, there's also the copying of ENVARC: to ENV: which doesn't happen under 1.3, plus more use of T:, etc. There's a lot more use of RAM (and the RAM disk), meaning the system is more likely to hit the bad sector.

Filling up RAM: under 1.3 might achieve the same result, helping to narrow down whether you're dealing with a RAM problem or a problem with another chip.

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »
Yeh that was my thinking and so that's why I loaded three disks of Desert Strike and few more heavy games requiring disk changes. Desert Strike was fine but R-TYPE II threw up a GURU and reboot. So I think it is memory and I plan on running a diagnostic on memory when I get a moment.  Difficult going forward without 2.04 booting so that is my first priority.

I can soak 1.3 and I am pretty sure it'll junk out at some point. I just need to know which of them nasty blighters on the mobo is causing the problem.  Haven't been able to recover my A3000 manuals yet.

PS I think the Amiga Org certificate has expired. I just got refused entry by Norton.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 02:10:11 AM »
I was wrong about how RAM i laid out, but not too much.

Here's a video of somebody swapping out 4MB of fast page mode for 8MB static column RAM on an A3000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUEt_7I12vU

When you finally get a memory checker, should help you work out which chips are dead,

At the very least it should help to get a 4MB bank working which lets you boot WB2.04.

EDIT: A bit of good news if you are prepared to invest in a build and sell your spares.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Amiga_3000_Desktop_SIMM_ZIP_Ram_Adapter.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:22:41 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 02:25:47 AM »
Or this version, has the simms mounted vertically. I think this too tall for A3640, hence low profile one above.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Amiga_3000_Tower_SIMM_ZIP_Ram_Adapter.html

The 10% speed difference is only for memory access, not for overall system speed (more like 0.1% of that).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:21:30 AM by Pat the Cat »

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline scuzzb494Topic starter

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
Quick update. I have been working on an A2000 that was totally dead and put in store a few years ago. I set too checking the CPU pins as they are located next to a previously removed battery and were looking a little green. Seems the clip that holds the leg on the connector is probably broken to the first pin nearest where the battery was. Anyway I cleaned up and pinged the legs on the CPU as wide as possible before inserting back and like magic she fired up and is working no problem.

OK to the point ... I used my 2.04 disk with the echo on the 2000 and this ran through the boot proces no problem. However I tried the SHELL and the results were a garbled mass of lines booting in and then clearing to the prompt. Also various keys are incorrect even though this is the correct keyboard. Checking a bit deeper I found a program on the disk called SCION.

http://aminet.net/package/biz/dbase/Scion508

So I went and got another Workbench disk for 2.04 and this didn't have the garbled text or the SCION program. I did get a little troubled cus there was no red on the screen until I checked the colour palette that some one had changed. I fired ip 1.3 and the colours were all there and the keyboard was working fine and the SHELL didn't have this string of garbled text. Dunno how this would affect the A3000 cus she was hanging. On the 2000 the WB did not hang with SCION on it. Weird.

Dunno what to trust to be honest.  So many of my 2.04 disks have this SCION on. I had to dig real deep to find one that didn't. The disks appear identical till you look deeper.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:35:07 PM by scuzzb494 »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »
I can't say I'm surprised scuzz. Your freewheelin' "Romany" spirit is alien to the idea of "master disks". ;)

Also not surprised you change the subject when the idea of "upgrades" are introduced into the conversation. ::)

Anyway, hopefully you'll at least have a working Mac working again,,. Fingers crossed, I'm rooting for you.