Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf 3.9 web browser released  (Read 9225 times)

Description:

Offline Primax

• Show all replies
Re: NetSurf 3.9 web browser released
« on: July 27, 2019, 05:08:47 PM »
This actually is not a solution (at least for me) because I want to use the browser on my real Amiga.
I do also have an Amiga1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV, 128 MB RAM and SSD.
I have been playing around with Netsurf since the early versions. And I must agree with QBit: This version is by far the most slowly one.
But first the good points: https-support again works! This is very important otherwise not usable.  Thank you very much for fixing it!
And: Netsurf is very stable - except the the Guru message which appears after quitting Netsurf.

In order to have figures which are comparable I always test which time Netsurf takes to load amiga-news.de and the Aminet website.
Loading the Aminet website takes - like the previous versions - about 35 seconds. Of course loading animations and any kind of pictures disabled.
But for loading amiga-news.de - a https connection - now Netsurf takes more than 110 seconds.

Except for the loading time: If I have scrolled the website - the Aminet website I have to scroll vertically and horizontally while amiga-news.de at least I have only to scroll down - it takes several seconds for displaying the final view. This is sobering.

Please do not get me wrong: I know I have an old and slow system. And I am really delighted that I get this new browser running on my system at all. I would use it more often if e.g. such a "simple text website" like Aminet (html 4, no pictures, no animations) would be loaded in at least 10 seconds.

Offline Primax

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »
I just installed the latest build 4769. But I must say that I could not notice any speed improvements (Aminet 35 seconds, amiga-news.de 110 sec).
Have you already added the optimisation?
By the way: Is there any changelog for each single build?

Offline Primax

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 07:10:26 AM »
I have to disagree!
Then you could also say: Use a emulator. But actually many users have an Amiga with 030 accelerator board.
I would suggest: Please optimize it for a minimum of 64MB RAM, better 128MB.