Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf OS3 - testing!  (Read 27808 times)

Description:

Offline chrisTopic starter

Re: NetSurf OS3 - testing!
« Reply #119 from previous page: October 10, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
It has now a problem without codesets.library and it introduced new graphical problem.

I haven't touched the non-codesets code so that must be caused by something else.

Probably where the code is now offset differently the old bug causing it to access memory it shouldn't be is having a different effect.

This hasn't answered the question I wanted answered which was "is it any quicker now *with codesets.library*?"

Would it be possible to revert back few years old version so that new amissl would work with it?  Those versions were almost usefull, these versions.. it doesn't matter if you fix or not these problems, there is no point to use it as it loads page like amigaworld.net about 5 minits. It used to load about 15 seconds, when Olaf fixed memory fragmentation issue three? years ago.

I have no idea what caused it to go slow as I was told about this several months after it happened.  I have absolutely no chance of figuring out why now as I couldn't even at the time.

The memory model hasn't changed since then.

It's probably worth adding log_filter:level:CRITICAL to Choices because by default it is spewing out loads of Javascript-related errors which will be slowing it down.

I did switch to using AmiSSL as OpenSSL stopped working, I can't revert that change as not being able to make secure connections makes the browser useless.  There's no reason why AmiSSL should be slower than OpenSSL anyway, it's 99% the same thing.

What it needs is for somebody who can actually debug it properly to figure out what is causing the suspected buffer overflow problem and fix that.  That gets rid of the weirdness of it randomly crashing and doing odd things.  Then it's worth spending a bit of time optimising (again, by somebody who knows what they are doing).

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:24:09 PM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline utri007

Re: NetSurf OS3 - testing!
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2020, 05:36:43 PM »
I did switch to using AmiSSL as OpenSSL stopped working, I can't revert that change as not being able to make secure connections makes the browser useless.

I meant that if you could make a AmiSSL work with lets say Netsurf version 3.5? I'm not sure wich version was still fast.

Bad that there is no 68k experienced coders interested trouble shoot this. :( There are too few left and those are not interested enough.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD