Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Driver team" for os4?  (Read 2993 times)

Description:

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
Re: "Driver team" for os4?
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 12, 2004, 02:41:56 PM »
B00tDisk wrote:
Believe me, I'd more than like to see it released.

But I just don't see that happening.

Your argument reminds me of a famous Dutch professor of law in the 1950's who claimed that space travel (be it manned or unmanned) was impossible. He was able to support his theories with some solid physical reasoning, so managed to hold his ground. Of course, when the Russians and Americans began the space race in 1961, his argument was blown to smithereens. His response: 'Well, having a man-made object in Earth orbit is not what I meant with space travel: it is going to other planets, or even stars!' He got away with shifting goal posts until the Russians took pictures of the other side of the Moon. From thereon, noone took him seriously ever again.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 03:43:48 PM »

xeron wrote:

B00tDisk wrote:

I hate to sound trollish, and I'm not trying to be one, but y'know, if a tiny handful of "developers" having something counts as "released",

But you said usable, not released.

Y'know, you're right.  I should've said "released".  Not "useable".  I'm sure some developers have a "useable" OS4 right now.  But that doesn't do the folks who just want it any good.

What do I think of it?  I wish it were true.  But it sounds like "TWO...WEEKS!" and "B I G!", etc.

I knew thats exactly what you'd think of it, but on my desk at home there is a CD labeled "OS4 beta installer", which is the first revision of the ISO installer for OS4 on the A1. All the major problems of that version are pretty much fixed. I really can't see it taking all that much longer for  the pre-release CD to get finalised.

I seem to recall someone (maybe here, maybe at Amigaworld.net) saying "They're testing the CD for release now!" about two or three months ago.  I just can't get my head around why it could possibly take that damned long to release the thing.  

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a Morph-OS fan by any stretch of the imagination...)

I never said, or thought, you were. I didn't assume you belonged to any "camp".

Being critical of Hyperion's feet dragging is a sure way to mark oneself for the snipers 'round the Amiga world, though, you must admit! ;)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 03:46:38 PM »
@bootdisk:

Can u please DROP IT!  :-x  Were sick and tired of guys like u  who havent got something USEFUL to talk about, just whining and trying to get everybody moods down  :-x

Thanks to you this thread has gotten of track!

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2004, 04:07:15 PM »

I seem to recall someone (maybe here, maybe at Amigaworld.net) saying "They're testing the CD for release now!" about two or three months ago.  I just can't get my head around why it could possibly take that damned long to release the thing.  

Well, don't believe me. Thats fine. It just means the pleasant surprise will be that little bit more pleasant and surprising for you ;-)

Being critical of Hyperion's feet dragging is a sure way to mark oneself for the snipers 'round the Amiga world, though, you must admit! ;)

heh.. being critical of the delays of OS4 doesn't mean you don't want OS4... as Mr. Spock would say, "that is, illogical" :-D
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline NightShade737

• Show only replies by NightShade737
    • http://atomnet.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2004, 04:13:24 PM »
Actually it could, as you know when you really really want something... but over time, you start to lose interest more and more up till the point you don't actually care at all any more....

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 04:55:55 PM »

xeron wrote:

Well, don't believe me. Thats fine. It just means the pleasant surprise will be that little bit more pleasant and surprising for you ;-)

Hey, trust me when I say I'd like to do nothing more than go buy an A1 mATX board, throw it into a hand-built custom case and start playing around with it posthaste.  But without even a remote indication of when a consumer OS4 might be considered for release...?

heh.. being critical of the delays of OS4 doesn't mean you don't want OS4... as Mr. Spock would say, "that is, illogical" :-D
[/quote]

Hey I'd dance the rite of spring if the damn thing was to come out!  I've got enough bits and pieces around here to build a system with (drives, RAM, etc.)

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2004, 04:58:47 PM »

restore2003 wrote:
@bootdisk:

Can u please DROP IT!

No.  The conversation was pretty civil until you started whining, y'know.

Were sick and tired of guys like u  who havent got something USEFUL to talk about, just whining and trying to get everybody moods down  :-x

Thanks to you this thread has gotten of track!

I'll assume you mean "we're" and to that I say: "We're"?  What, have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Yeah, nice tag on my questions being an attempt to bring everyone's mood down.  Again, things were pretty civil until you started spouting off.  Why don't you "drop it"?

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2004, 05:44:29 PM »
@bootdisk:

Read what the topic says!

And btw the discussion u brought up has been debated to death, so its pointless to discuss it further, os4 will come out when it comes out!  :-P

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2004, 06:45:11 PM »
> I seem to recall someone (maybe here, maybe at Amigaworld.net) saying "They're testing the CD for release
> now!" about two or three months ago. I just can't get my head around why it could possibly take that damned long to
> release the thing.

Have you ever developed any serious software project before as part of a development team? Sometimes bugs sneak up on you and take longer than a day or two to track down and fix. Sometimes this can be a real pain due to vague, inaccurate, or total lack of documentation for something involved with the problem. If this happens with a bug big enough that makes something unpleasant to use (even if actually functional, just unpleasant/buggy), it doesn't make sense to send out even a prerelease that isn't ready. Once the few big things are taken care of, then it's more realistic to share with non-developers. For example, Radeon users really wouldn't have liked the prerelease as it was a month ago, now they should be reasonably happy. It worked a month ago, even a number of months ago, but wouldn't have been very agreeable for most users until now on AmigaOne.

Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2004, 07:14:16 PM »

billt wrote:
> I seem to recall someone (maybe here, maybe at Amigaworld.net) saying "They're testing the CD for release
> now!" about two or three months ago. I just can't get my head around why it could possibly take that damned long to
> release the thing.

Have you ever developed any serious software project before as part of a development team? Sometimes bugs sneak up on you and take longer than a day or two to track down and fix. Sometimes this can be a real pain due to vague, inaccurate, or total lack of documentation for something involved with the problem. If this happens with a bug big enough that makes something unpleasant to use (even if actually functional, just unpleasant/buggy), it doesn't make sense to send out even a prerelease that isn't ready. Once the few big things are taken care of, then it's more realistic to share with non-developers. For example, Radeon users really wouldn't have liked the prerelease as it was a month ago, now they should be reasonably happy. It worked a month ago, even a number of months ago, but wouldn't have been very agreeable for most users until now on AmigaOne.

Yes, yes I have been part of a software development team.  Writing JCL for IBM S390's for STAR Systems, Inc.  Financial stuff.  It was Programming Hell, I tells ya.

So you're not telling me something I'm not already aware of - that alpha code is just that, and that it's hard to quash all the bugs the first time around, and that releasing before it's ready can bite you in the ass.  I know what I'm talking about here; I've seen plenty of "jobs" (IBM mainframe parlance for programs) blow up that tested watertight on simulators.  Little twenty or thirty line fetches that extracted from a dataset and populated to addressable remote nodes...and they all came crashing down, BOOM.  

So yes.  I've seen it happen.  The point I'm making isn't that "I don't know what's the cause of it's taking so long!" but rather "Why has it taken this long to quash the bugs?"

Oh well.