Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CyberStorm official versus private flashes  (Read 293 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
CyberStorm official versus private flashes
« on: February 24, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
On the Phase5 website at a1k there are two "private" flashes.  I'm going to re-flash my Cyberstorm MK III today as I cannot get the bootmenu to come up and I saw these two private flashes.  Has anyone used 44.69 or 44.71?  I don't have anything which would need OpenPCI so 44.71 probably isn't in my plans.

EDIT: Just thought, I'm using a Picasso IV (PIV)... is there any chance the bootmenu is producing a screen mode which my monitor doesn't like coming through the PVI, thus making it look like the menu is not coming up?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 05:04:56 PM by LoadWB »

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: CyberStorm official versus private flashes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 05:02:18 PM »
interesting keep us posted!
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Yup, solved.  I took the Indivision from my other 4000D and I can now see the boot menu.  So it's apparently a screen mode the PIV either does not pass or my monitor does not like.

Now, my original question remains: has anyone used the private flashes and are there any benefits over the last official release?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
I'm using 44.67 without issues. I think 44.71 is of no use unless you have a GRex. As for 44.69, the changelog doesn't show anything of significance. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter which you use :)

Offline HammerD

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:30:05 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;822687
I'm using 44.67 without issues. I think 44.71 is of no use unless you have a GRex. As for 44.69, the changelog doesn't show anything of significance. Ultimately, it probably doesn't matter which you use :)

As far as I recall there were some changes to SCSI LUN settings in the very latest versions.  The very latest version is what I run on my systems and it is fine.  

Obviously flashing always carries some risk, so if your system is working fine maybe you should not flash.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;822712
As far as I recall there were some changes to SCSI LUN settings in the very latest versions.  The very latest version is what I run on my systems and it is fine.  

Obviously flashing always carries some risk, so if your system is working fine maybe you should not flash.

I think those changes were introduced in 44.67, unless they are not documented in the changelog. I have plenty of LUN settings in my version, although perhaps there are even more in 44.71. :)

When I first flashed my CSMKIII it had 44.2 onboard! There were definitely a lot of changes between that and 44.67, and the result left me with an unbootable system until I changed some jumpers on my hard drive. UltraSCSI drives are a complex beast compared to the old 50-pin days. :)

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »
Supposedly 44.67 includes a "No 31kHz screenmode" option to prevent the Phase5 and Kickstart bootmenus from coming up in a 31kHz mode.  I have to move my SVGA cable from the PIV to a Gonbes in order to use these menus.  I guess I could pull up the status information and see if that is really working or not.