Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Digitally Remastered 8 bit released  (Read 1595 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the CatTopic starter

Digitally Remastered 8 bit released
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:39 AM »
https://github.com/Pat-McD/Amiga-DR-8Bit

The FLAC is an example  of "perfect" implementation of the concept. In practice it is unlikely  the hardware would sound that good, and the other examples are fairer  demonstration of what to expect. The MP3s are "warmer" but less defined,  the "Oggs" are cleaner but more clicky (no digital delay added to  Oggs). If you don't like the Oggs, save them as MP3 and they should  sound less clicky.

They sound pretty damn hot, but any credit for that goes to the original  musicians. They will be a mixture of MP3, Ogg and FLAC, and won't sound  good on a real Amiga unless you are running on a Vampire. But they  should give an idea of what a proposed sound processor will produce,  when connected to the audio output jacks of a real Amiga.

The whole thing was done as a technology demonstrator for a possible add  on, like the Omega and Pyramid sound enhancers. Work with any Amiga for  quality boost of standard 8 bit playback, with no accelerator overhead.  The difference is, it's a proper digital enhancement, and produces much  better output. Not as good as a Delfina for quality, but more  connectable for those without a clock port.

The hardware to do this WAS ludicrously expensive 20 years ago, but is  now affordable. I'm aiming for a $100 price point or less (UK has never  had it so good for manufacturing hardware). Maybe a lot less, I don't have current prices for technology required.

Rasp  Pi and USB sound stick, pretty much. :) See if you can spot the  "ringer" that has no origin with the Amiga or with a 4 track recorder.  Such hardware would boost the output of music demos recorded with such  gear, so it's not really just for Amigans.

Tracks are "Jesus on  Ees", most of the rest from DJ Randall on the Suburban Bass release (Cu  Amiga cover CD I think) and the rest are just stuff I like. Should not be too  hard to track down and compare (JoE is on youtube, I know that).

Even if you just like 'em, post and let me know. They took a long time to do by hand.

The  software used was Sonique, to extract the left and right audio data  from a mod, and Audacity to do the processing. Nothing you could not do  without the right hardware plugged into the audio ports of an Amiga. But hardware would do it automatically, with no software or work needed.

Enjoy. And of course "Electric Bad Boy" is my favourite. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:03:05 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi