Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 12934 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
Quote from: UberFreak;801432
I just cant see how this leak affects AOS4.x in any way shape or form.
It can only benefit the 68k community, which is a completely different market.

It doesn't.

Hyperion has already admitted that all of the underlying OS4 code had to be re-written, from scratch, for PPC as the original binaries were too slow. Ergo, they've done exactly what they're threatening litigation against anyone else for.

It "affects" Hyperion in the fact that an old 3.x machine can be had for hundreds of dollars, while their machines are upwards of of 3 grand (no disrespect to Trevor, here, 'cos the guy is amazing!) If 3.x gets "modernized", it's less of a use for OS4, which has a costly entrance fee.

However, Hyperion is contractually obligated to sue anyone using the sources of 3.x, illegally, as it's part of their licensing agreement. That costs them money. Cloanto doesn't care either way - this doesn't affect them, at all and truthfully anything done with it, is to their benefit.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;801435
Ah... you're not seeing the bigger picture.

A n"open sourced" 68K AOS is a tremendously dangerous product for Hyperion's ambitions to attract more 68K users onto the so called "NG AmigaOS" platform, since really this is the only market on which OS4 has any hopes of attracting new customers.

But now, with new, faster FPGA accelerators 68K might get a new lease of life and together with access to the source code could be the final nail in the coffin of OS4.

+1
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf