Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 12938 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« on: January 05, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »
Hyperion possess a licence to use the code, Cloanto own the code.

This leak could actually benefit Cloanto and we the community because if developers start modifying and improving parts of the codebase and those changes are posted in the public domain; Cloanto can build binaries of those parts and distribute them.

Free development for a resource constrained company. It's a win-win.
The only loser I can see in this will be Hyperion as it will cost them money to comply with the licence they signed with Amiga Inc to "defend" against any illegal distribution of the source.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Quote from: spudje;801443
I understand the position of Hyperion. However I personally think open sourcing 3.1 offers them and probably even aeon &  acute more potential then just sitting on os4.

Build a community around the os but still offer the end result of all new code in the form of (one of potential more) commercial AOS 3.x "distributions"  on multiple architectures (68k/fpga, x86/64, arm,...).
Aeon can develop all their acquired classic applications even further. And together with A cube come up with some nice (and more affordable, hence better sold)  hardware.

The costs involved in properly opensourcing the code are far too much for Cloanto to afford, it's never gonna happen.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;801446
what they could do, however, would be participating in a clean room reimplementation, or rather clean room consultation, because the reimplementation is already there.

True, but that would cost them too. The cost of potential community development work that might happen on the leaked code is probably far less.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:45 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;801458
+1

I think Hyperion has it backwards anyway.  They are not the hand that feeds their users, their users are the hands that feed them.

I have to say, I can't fathom how they are possibly still in business.

Unpaid volunteers doing the bulk of the work I guess.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:26:02 AM »
Quote from: Hammer;801477
FYI, Cloanto sells both AmigaForever 2016 and AmigaOS 4.1 FE Classic.

The Pope's Catholic and water is wet.

Your point is?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
Quote from: Hammer;801492
You are implying a conflict between Cloanto and Hyperion when Cloanto is selling AmigaOS 4.1 FE as an bundle option for Amiga Forever 2016 Plus/Premium package.

Wow! Please tell me how on earth you came to that conclusion?

I'm running AmigaOS 4.1 FE via AF2016's WinUAE out-of-the-box on my Wintel PCs.
AmigaOS 4.1 FE's $29 USD is cheap and I don't understand the constant hate for Hyperion.

I'm running it on Pegasos II, a PC, a Mac and previously ran it on a BPPC.

Your point is?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:44:13 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;801805
Faster and smoother on the HP, do you know what is the fastest computer able to run NextStep? Too bad OSX do not have an NextStep skin.
Kamelito

Take your fastest machine and give it a try. :)

https://sites.google.com/site/benvirtualbox/home/nextstep