Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement  (Read 12680 times)

Description:

Offline CyborgTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyborg
AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
Brussels, January 5, 2016

Hyperion Entertainment wishes a happy New Year 2016 everybody!

The days between last Christmas and New Year were actually clouded by the sad fact that the source code of AmigaOS 3.1 and additional content dating back to 1994 was published and widely spread without permission of the rights-holder. Note that no code of AmigaOS 4.x was released or distributed.

Hyperion Entertainment holds an exclusive, world-wide, perpetual source-code license to the intellectual property of AmigaOS 3.1 and additional content as documented in the publicly available settlement agreement between Hyperion Entertainment and Amiga, Inc. which has taken the form of a stipulated judgement.

Based on this license AmigaOS 4.x development was started in 2001 by Hyperion Entertainment using the AmigaOS 3.1 code as a basis and as the direct successor of what Commodore left behind in 1994. AmigaOS 4.x is an actively developed product on sale and still incorporates a substantial amount of AmigaOS 3.1 code.

While this would be already more than enough of a reason to care about the unauthorised disclosure and distribution, it is also the very same settlement agreement which made all of this possible in the first place, which contractually requires Hyperion to enforce and protect any intellectual property rights associated with AmigaOS including the AmigaOS 3.1 source-code.

This entails that Hyperion Entertainment will examine all possible legal action against any unauthorised source of or use of this material it is aware of. All of this leads up to the reason why we "make such a fuss" about code which is more than 20 years old by now. While the original leak seems to stem from someone outside of the active community, it is even more sad to see quite some of the remaining active users happily participate in distributing this unauthorised copy, compromising years of development work and all possible future versions of AmigaOS and therefore biting the hand that feeds them against all common sense and in blatant violation of copyright.

Having said that, our most special thanks go to all loyal customers, user groups, dealers, partners and all others who showed and continue to show their support to us. You are the reason why AmigaOS still exists, why it remains under active development and why we care.

Thank you,
on behalf of Hyperion Entertainment, all associated developers, translators and testers.

Hyperion Entertainment CVBA
Tervurenlaan 34
1040 Brussels
Belgium

info@hyperion-entertainment.com

Offline kamelito

Re: AmigaOS 3.1 source code leak - official statement
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
While I find it difficult maybe to remove the leaked source code from torrent and such, why is it still avalaible via github is beyond me. (I don't think it's on purpose so you can make easy money).
I hope that 2016 will be a new era where Hyperion share it's roadmap with a planning and deliver.
Steve Jobs use to say "Real Artists Ship".
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Real_Artists_Ship.txt

Kamelito
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:46:15 PM by kamelito »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »
Quote from: Cyborg;801424
Brussels, January 5, 2016

Hyperion Entertainment wishes a happy New Year 2016 everybody!

The days between last Christmas and New Year were actually clouded by the sad fact that the source code of AmigaOS 3.1 and additional content dating back to 1994 was published and widely spread without permission of the rights-holder. Note that no code of AmigaOS 4.x was released or distributed.

Hyperion Entertainment holds an exclusive, world-wide, perpetual source-code license to the intellectual property of AmigaOS 3.1 and additional content as documented in the publicly available settlement agreement between Hyperion Entertainment and Amiga, Inc. which has taken the form of a stipulated judgement.

Based on this license AmigaOS 4.x development was started in 2001 by Hyperion Entertainment using the AmigaOS 3.1 code as a basis and as the direct successor of what Commodore left behind in 1994. AmigaOS 4.x is an actively developed product on sale and still incorporates a substantial amount of AmigaOS 3.1 code.

While this would be already more than enough of a reason to care about the unauthorised disclosure and distribution, it is also the very same settlement agreement which made all of this possible in the first place, which contractually requires Hyperion to enforce and protect any intellectual property rights associated with AmigaOS including the AmigaOS 3.1 source-code.

This entails that Hyperion Entertainment will examine all possible legal action against any unauthorised source of or use of this material it is aware of. All of this leads up to the reason why we "make such a fuss" about code which is more than 20 years old by now. While the original leak seems to stem from someone outside of the active community, it is even more sad to see quite some of the remaining active users happily participate in distributing this unauthorised copy, compromising years of development work and all possible future versions of AmigaOS and therefore biting the hand that feeds them against all common sense and in blatant violation of copyright.

Having said that, our most special thanks go to all loyal customers, user groups, dealers, partners and all others who showed and continue to show their support to us. You are the reason why AmigaOS still exists, why it remains under active development and why we care.

Thank you,
on behalf of Hyperion Entertainment, all associated developers, translators and testers.

Hyperion Entertainment CVBA
Tervurenlaan 34
1040 Brussels
Belgium

info@hyperion-entertainment.com

Yawn

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;801425
While I find it difficult maybe to remove the leaked source code from torrent and such, why is it still avalaible via https://github.com/... is beyond me.

Kamelito

crazy...

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
I just cant see how this leak affects AOS4.x in any way shape or form.
It can only benefit the 68k community, which is a completely different market.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »
Hyperion possess a licence to use the code, Cloanto own the code.

This leak could actually benefit Cloanto and we the community because if developers start modifying and improving parts of the codebase and those changes are posted in the public domain; Cloanto can build binaries of those parts and distribute them.

Free development for a resource constrained company. It's a win-win.
The only loser I can see in this will be Hyperion as it will cost them money to comply with the licence they signed with Amiga Inc to "defend" against any illegal distribution of the source.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
Quote from: UberFreak;801432

Ah... you're not seeing the bigger picture.

A n"open sourced" 68K AOS is a tremendously dangerous product for Hyperion's ambitions to attract more 68K users onto the so called "NG AmigaOS" platform, since really this is the only market on which OS4 has any hopes of attracting new customers.

But now, with new, faster FPGA accelerators 68K might get a new lease of life and together with access to the source code could be the final nail in the coffin of OS4.

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
biting the hand that feeds them against all common sense and in blatant violation of copyright.

I think what Hyperion doesn't understand is that most people that are happy about the leak are not AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC fans.  They are 68K people and will likely NEVER move to AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC, so they are not biting the hand that feeds them.

Perhaps if Hyperion catered a bit to the much larger 68K market their statement might make more sense.

The buzz around Natami showed that what most Amiga users want is a continuation of the original Amiga idea, what most users would have liked future Amigas to look like - which is not necessarily what Commodore would have done.  I, and I think most 68K users, would have liked continually enhanced custom chipsets to keep the Amiga unique and better than the rest of the PC market.  AA/AAA/SuperAGA/whatever.

Catering to the tiny AmigaOS 4.x/PowerPC market seems bizarre to me.  Hyperion/A-EON would be much better off continuing development of AmigaOS 68K and moving forward with a FPGA project in my opinion.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
Quote from: UberFreak;801432

It doesn't.

Hyperion has already admitted that all of the underlying OS4 code had to be re-written, from scratch, for PPC as the original binaries were too slow. Ergo, they've done exactly what they're threatening litigation against anyone else for.

It "affects" Hyperion in the fact that an old 3.x machine can be had for hundreds of dollars, while their machines are upwards of of 3 grand (no disrespect to Trevor, here, 'cos the guy is amazing!) If 3.x gets "modernized", it's less of a use for OS4, which has a costly entrance fee.

However, Hyperion is contractually obligated to sue anyone using the sources of 3.x, illegally, as it's part of their licensing agreement. That costs them money. Cloanto doesn't care either way - this doesn't affect them, at all and truthfully anything done with it, is to their benefit.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;801435
Ah... you're not seeing the bigger picture.

A n"open sourced" 68K AOS is a tremendously dangerous product for Hyperion's ambitions to attract more 68K users onto the so called "NG AmigaOS" platform, since really this is the only market on which OS4 has any hopes of attracting new customers.

But now, with new, faster FPGA accelerators 68K might get a new lease of life and together with access to the source code could be the final nail in the coffin of OS4.

+1
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline spudje

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 04:04:49 PM »
I understand the position of Hyperion. However I personally think open sourcing 3.1 offers them and probably even aeon &  acute more potential then just sitting on os4.

Build a community around the os but still offer the end result of all new code in the form of (one of potential more) commercial AOS 3.x "distributions"  on multiple architectures (68k/fpga, x86/64, arm,...).
Aeon can develop all their acquired classic applications even further. And together with A cube come up with some nice (and more affordable, hence better sold)  hardware.

It would be a damn shame if the energy of Hyperion will go into chasing the leaked code and even further cause upset in the community. It would be beneficial for all, including Hyperion, to constructively over think a new open source oriented approach.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:09:25 PM by spudje »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Quote from: spudje;801443
I understand the position of Hyperion. However I personally think open sourcing 3.1 offers them and probably even aeon &  acute more potential then just sitting on os4.

Build a community around the os but still offer the end result of all new code in the form of (one of potential more) commercial AOS 3.x "distributions"  on multiple architectures (68k/fpga, x86/64, arm,...).
Aeon can develop all their acquired classic applications even further. And together with A cube come up with some nice (and more affordable, hence better sold)  hardware.

The costs involved in properly opensourcing the code are far too much for Cloanto to afford, it's never gonna happen.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;801445
The costs involved in properly opensourcing the code are far too much for Cloanto to afford, it's never gonna happen.

what they could do, however, would be participating in a clean room reimplementation, or rather clean room consultation, because the reimplementation is already there.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;801446
what they could do, however, would be participating in a clean room reimplementation, or rather clean room consultation, because the reimplementation is already there.

True, but that would cost them too. The cost of potential community development work that might happen on the leaked code is probably far less.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;801448
True, but that would cost them too. The cost of potential community development work that might happen on the leaked code is probably far less.

maybe. im not sure.. nevertheless they participated in founding the aros kickstart replacement phase 1:
http://www.power2people.org/projects/kickstart-1/
however in phase2 they seem to have reconsidered ;)
to be honest, i dont know how this impacts on them, or anybody else for that matter, but i doubt its significant.