Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"  (Read 49804 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: New ppc board by Acube/A-Eon: A1222 "Tabor"
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;797332
is this a smartphone perhaps?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-stick/intel-compute-stick.html

It's hot, slow and power hungry, so hopefully not.

You can't install 64 bit windows on it because of a crippled UEFI. They make the excuse that with 2gb you don't need 64 bit, but there are other benefits to running x64 code. They destroy their own argument by selling a 64 bit Linux version with only 1gb of ram.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but it's not the type of cpu you even want to compare against. If it beats you then you're in real trouble and there is no kudos in beating it.

http://gizmodo.com/intel-compute-stick-review-don-t-buy-it-1699377058
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:29:25 AM by psxphill »

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
Let's assume that Acube/A-Eon knew about the FPU problem. If so, then what would be the reason to choose it anyway? Are there no price worthy alternatives they could have used instead? Or did they reason that the FPU isn't that important?

Reading everyones comments in various sites I'm not really sure how important FPU is. Some says it's used for a lot of OS and software related stuff, others that it's only used in some games. Which is it?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
Quote from: Spectre660;797314
Linux is the only OS that I can speak about :) .
You need to forgive yourself for being so sure that the CPU would from the T series. If you need to bang your head against something find a wall not another person .

If you have a problem with me disagreeing with you, you're not going to get far with that kind of argument.
The board has a poorly chosen processor.
No one said a T10XX was essential, just better (for about the same price).

I'm not banging my head against anything except your obdurate nature.
And while I might consider the rather high priced X5000, I'm not buying this piece of crap.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;797354
Let's assume that Acube/A-Eon knew about the FPU problem. If so, then what would be the reason to choose it anyway? Are there no price worthy alternatives they could have used instead? Or did they reason that the FPU isn't that important?

Reading everyones comments in various sites I'm not really sure how important FPU is. Some says it's used for a lot of OS and software related stuff, others that it's only used in some games. Which is it?

Since the deficiencies of the e500v2 core have been repeatedly discussed, I'd say everyone knew.
Apparently, they thought they could sell everyone on it anyway.

I guess they weren't counting on a knowledgeable customer base.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Spectre660

• Show only replies by Spectre660
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2015, 12:21:44 PM »
I thought that you had already decided to get an X5000.
If that was the case then the Tabor should not bother you.
It being good,bad or indifferent should not affect your original plans.

Quote from: Iggy;797356
If you have a problem with me disagreeing with you, you're not going to get far with that kind of argument.
The board has a poorly chosen processor.
No one said a T10XX was essential, just better (for about the same price).

I'm not banging my head against anything except your obdurate nature.
And while I might consider the rather high priced X5000, I'm not buying this piece of crap.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card

Offline Spectre660

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2015, 12:26:08 PM »
In reality if Hyperion and co cant get AmigaOS 4.x working with an acceptable performance with the majority of existing software do you think that the Tabor will go into production for the AmigaOS 4.x market ?

Quote from: Iggy;797357
Since the deficiencies of the e500v2 core have been repeatedly discussed, I'd say everyone knew.
Apparently, they thought they could sell everyone on it anyway.

I guess they weren't counting on a knowledgeable customer base.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;797360
In reality if Hyperion and co cant get AmigaOS 4.x working with an acceptable performance with the majority of existing software do you think that the Tabor will go into production for the AmigaOS 4.x market ?

for the 4.x market not, at least not in big batches. Acube is selling embedded PPC devices so for them it might make sense even when AmigaOS software not runs acceptable.

Offline Spectre660

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Thanks.

Quote from: OlafS3;797362
for the 4.x market not, at least not in big batches. Acube is selling embedded PPC devices so for them it might make sense even when AmigaOS software not runs acceptable.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Spectre660;797360

Why not? ;-) just think what Commodore did ;-)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;797277
Chrome is not open source.

I guess they meant chromium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797362

"We sell boards also outside the Amiga market even if Amigans are the most of our customers."
Source: http://www.retroplanet.gr/content/interview-acube-srl-%CF%83%CF%85%CE%BD%CE%AD%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%85%CE%BE%CE%B7-acube-srl

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Andre.Siegel;797369
"We sell boards also outside the Amiga market even if Amigans are the most of our customers."
Source: http://www.retroplanet.gr/content/interview-acube-srl-%CF%83%CF%85%CE%BD%CE%AD%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%85%CE%BE%CE%B7-acube-srl

do you really think they can earn their living with selling PPC devices to the few AmigaOS fans?

and if true then the processor choice is even more difficult to understand
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:50:52 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline Andre.Siegel

• Show only replies by Andre.Siegel
    • http://www.power2people.org
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;797370
do you really think they can earn their living with selling PPC devices to the few AmigaOS fans?

Who has ever claimed that they are making a living from any of this?

From the same interview:
"Doing hardware on the current Amiga market is just impossible."

"The price is very small compared to the low volume of a production batch. We should have sold them at a higher price to get our investment back but we wanted to keep the price as low as possible for all Amigans. We also decided to build them entirely in Italy instead of China to better control their quality and also to give work to European companies."

Does this sound like people who rely on this to make a living or like individuals who work on this as a passion project (like pretty much anybody else in this community)?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
Quote from: Andre.Siegel;797371
Who has ever claimed that they are making a living from any of this?

From the same interview:
"Doing hardware on the current Amiga market is just impossible."

"The price is very small compared to the low volume of a production batch. We should have sold them at a higher price to get our investment back but we wanted to keep the price as low as possible for all Amigans. We also decided to build them entirely in Italy instead of China to better control their quality and also to give work to European companies."

Does this sound like people who rely on this to make a living or like individuals who work on this as a passion project (like pretty much anybody else in this community)?

so they sell the hardware as hobby? I do not know how is it in Italy but as long you do not have got lots of money by someone else you have to earn it. I assumed Acube is a hardware company earning their money by selling hardware and offering additional services.

Offline kolla

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
Quote from: JJ;797368
I guess they meant chromium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

Huh, V8 exist for PowerPC now?
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #74 from previous page: October 13, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
Quote from: Andre.Siegel;797371

not even individual computers, while serving hobby customership, is being run as charity. as long as one dedicates a finite amount of his time to what is his hobby anyway, as in case of software, and then shares it with others, it is one thing. but as soon as you yourself need to make considerable investments, as in case of hardware development, production, retail and service, if you wouldnt expect return at least at some point in the future, it would be straight out giving money away to strangers. i have hard time to believe anyone in hardware branche is operating like that, not in amiga, not even in os4 sector.

edit: after consideration the closest to what i describe above is probably majsta and his vampire boards, still he resonably tries to keep his investments covered, even if certainly his dedicated time isnt any close to generate return. from this perspective, as own development acube boards are probably being sold at some discount, which is possible as long as it is as an "in house" development. in contrary to that aeon initiatives seem to be based on a sort of shares, sold to fans with the hardware they purchase. not shares on the company though, but rather contibutions to finance certain hardware projects.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:31:59 PM by wawrzon »