Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga Magazine Publication  (Read 432 times)

Description:

Offline AdelaideAmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by AdelaideAmiga
New Amiga Magazine Publication
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:32 AM »
Hi All,

A new publication has just been brought out this week regarding the Amiga.

The magazine is tailored to the gaming aspect of the system, but there is also mention of some hardware that was available back in the day.

Interestingly, the magazine has a section devoted to a "collector's guide" of Amiga games.

What surprised me was that this publication is available at newsagents here in South Australia.

From what I can gather, it is a once-off issue.  

Has anyone else seen it?  I can't seem to find any reference of it on the internet.  

Overall, it is quite nicely done and very professional.

Cheers,

George

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: New Amiga Magazine Publication
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:05:48 AM »
@ amigaman101

cool, thanks for posting! can you take a picture or scan in the magazine for us to have a look?
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Epsilon_

• Crazy about Amigas
    • Show only replies by Epsilon_
    • http://amigax1000.blogspot.com.au
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:37:18 AM »
Quote from: amigaman101;789583
Hi All,

The magazine is tailored to the gaming aspect of the system, but there is also mention of some hardware that was available back in the day.

Interestingly, the magazine has a section devoted to a "collector's guide" of Amiga games.

What surprised me was that this publication is available at newsagents here in South Australia.

Has anyone else seen it?  I can't seem to find any reference of it on the internet.  

Cheers,

George

Sounds like the Amiga book from Retro Gamer...is it this one?

http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/introducing-the-amiga-book/

If not (I already have it) I should definitely go and check my local newsagent for it!

Catcha,
Epsilon

Please check out my various blogs:
Amiga:  AmigaX1000.blogspot.com.au
Trains: InterestingTrains.blogspot.com.au

Instagram: Epsilon's Instagram
[/SIZE]

Offline AdelaideAmigaTopic starter

• Show only replies by AdelaideAmiga
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »
@klx300r - Yes, I'll try to get a photo organised.

@Epsilon - The cover looks pretty much identical however it may have displayed the text "Amiga 500" instead of just "Amiga."  Also, the number of pages is far less than 180.  It is more a magazine size with a hard cover.   I'm guessing that it may be a portion of this book?

EDIT:

@Epsilon
- Actually, I think the book you provided is the one.  After a few searches, the publication looks pretty much like this one (https://morphosuser.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/the_amiga_book.jpg) which is the identical book.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:05:30 AM by AdelaideAmiga »

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »
Quote from: amigaman101;789583
Hi All,

Cheers,

George

I'm really not trying to be a smart-ass, but how can you write this entire post and not give us the name of the magazine?  :angry:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
The Amiga Book by Retrogamer.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »
My local Microcenter has a few copies in stock as well. Four, to be precise, as of this past weekend.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:15:15 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;789647
My local Microcenter has a few copies in stock as well. Four, to be precise, as of this past weekend.

Neat!

I remember the good old days, back before I had a car, walking to Microcenter to pick up all the latest Amiga magazines.  I also bought an APC UPS there for my A500 and carried it home in my backpack.  5.9 miles that was, according to Google. The battery weighed about a million pounds on my back by the time I got home. Man, never again!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:22:40 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:27:52 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;789649
Neat!

I remember the good old days, back before I had a car, walking to Microcenter to pick up all the latest Amiga magazines.  I also bought an APC UPS there for my A500 and carried it home in my backpack.  5.9 miles that was, according to Google.  Man, never again!  ;)

Good ol' days indeed! The one here used to carry CU Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Computing, Amazing Computing... maybe even some more I'm forgetting. I think they even had one of those commercial diskmags for a while, too. But it took them ages to start stocking the CD version of Amiga Format! They sold only the floppy version for at least 18 months into the CD version's existence, and they never carried the CD version of CU Amiga - floppy-only to the very end.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;789652
Good ol' days indeed! The one here used to carry CU Amiga, Amiga Format, Amiga Computing, Amazing Computing... maybe even some more I'm forgetting. I think they even had one of those commercial diskmags for a while, too. But it took them ages to start stocking the CD version of Amiga Format! They sold only the floppy version for at least 18 months into the CD version's existence, and they never carried the CD version of CU Amiga - floppy-only to the very end.

Yup, I used to buy those!  I remember when Computer Shopper magazine used to be about 400 pages per issue and had an Amiga section, too.  Think I still have one of those around for nostalgia.  As I recall the cover article for the month was "486 Sluggers!"  Kids these days wouldn't even know what a 486 is.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:01:19 PM by Oldsmobile_Mike »

Offline scuzzb494

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »
Recieved this email from Retro Gamer today [ I subscribe ]

Missed our Amiga book? Here's another chance to buy it

Hi subscriber ,

Ever since our Amiga bookazine was published in December we've been inundated with requests for it to be reprinted. We're delighted to say that a brand new revised version of our popular book is currently available to preorder from the Imagineshop.

Due out in July, The Amiga Book Revised Edition will feature several new articles that weren't in the original and is a must for any fans of Commodore's 16-bit computer.

There's further great news for bookazine fans too in the form of The ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64 Book Revised Edition and the Videogame Hardware Handbook Volume 2 Revised Edition which are again both available to preorder. Oh and make sure you order today to get our special 10% discount in celebration of our 10-year anniversary.

We've more exciting bookazine news soon so be sure to follow our official Facebook and Twitter pages to get the latest news. You can also keep up to date on our forum too.

In addition to our fantastic revised bookazines we also have several new digital guides which are available from the AppStore and Google Play. Hewson Consultants, Codemasters, Konami and LucasArts are just a few of the companies covered, while we also have dedicated guides to the Dreamcast, Commodore 64, Mega Drive and more.

The latest issue is also now available to buy and features a fantastic exclusive Oliver Frey cover. We've also put together some incredible content, including a bluffer's guide to shoot-'em-ups, the greatest multiplayer games of all time, a look behind the scenes at Blade Runner and Black Widow and much, much more. Enjoy the magazine and I'll see you next month.

— Darran Jones - Editor
https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/bookazines/videogames-and-retro/the-amiga-book-revised-edition.html

Offline mcbone

• Show only replies by mcbone
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
Quote from: Yasu;789640
The Amiga Book by Retrogamer.

just try to load on my emac  i do have morphos  on but try to update it to 3.8 but ibm burn disk but mac will not read it
maybe i am dyslexia

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Quote from: mcbone;789744
just try to load on my emac  i do have morphos  on but try to update it to 3.8 but ibm burn disk but mac will not read it

Are you commenting on the right thread?  :angry:

Offline Havie

• Show only replies by Havie
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Amiga Shopper was even better!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 11:00:47 PM »
Quote from: Havie;789784
Amiga Shopper was even better!

It was a dark day for me when I boxed up all my Amiga and Commodore magazines (especially every issue of Amiga World and Compute!'s Gazette) and sold them on Craigslist, or whatever the equivilant site was back about 12 years ago.  Probably only got around $40 for the whole lot.  As Sid Vicious said, "Regrets, I've had a few!"  ... or was that Frank Sinatra who said that?  ;)

Oh well, now I have all the issues on one single CD, and my OCD is much happier.  Still have all the Compute!'s Gazette disks, at least!  :D