Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sad  (Read 8769 times)

Description:

Offline Dandy

• Show all replies
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
Re: Sad
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Quote from: Lionheart;786369

"Sour grapes"?  Keep telling yourself that.  If I spent $3,000 on a 10+ year old Power Mac I wouldn't want to admit it was a dumb idea either.

When I started to move from a maxed out A500 to my towered A4000 PPC back in 1997, I basically started from scratch.

I had won a court proceeding and got 35,000 DM from the opponent's third-party vehicle insurance.

I used roughly 15,000 DM of it to to fulfil my  long-standing dream and bought all the necessary parts for the A4k Tower conversion (mobo, tower kit, HDs, CD-Rom & Ram, tape-streamer, CyberstormPPC with 128 mB, Cybervision with 8mB, a lot of miscellaneous scsi and uw-scsi odds and Ends; later added DVD-Ram, Mediator, Voodoo4 NIC, Terratec 512i digital soundcard and Spider II USB 2.0 that later was replaced by a Deneb), an 19'' Belinea Monitor, a Epson Stylus Color 600 Printer, an Epson GT-4500 SCSI-II flatbed scanner and initially an 56k modem (wich I replaced later with DSL after I got my Mediator and NIC), as well as lots of productivity software.

Next year my self-built A4kPPC-tower will be 20 years old and still serves me well - do you really think I spent too much money it (15,000:20=750 DM = 375 € per year)?

Quote from: Lionheart;786369

Otherwise you're going to be stuck running nothing but a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit system with a dual core processor the OS doesn't even support.

Why that?
I still have my two 64 Bit quadcore WIntel boxes and my good old A4kPPC Tower, as well as my old A1.2k Tower, as well as my two maxed out A500s (one of them could be towered any time - I have all the necessary parts incl. Zorro II board).

And if I and my family would not have gotten health problems,  I would have had enough money to afford an A1X1k - I was already on the waiting list and had to step back when the problems arose.

Our health is more important than my Amiga Hobby from my POV.

But I don't feel I am moaning because of that...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)