Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB Catweasel Mk4 Plus floppy cable  (Read 595 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: WTB Catweasel Mk4 Plus floppy cable
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 28, 2015, 02:42:13 AM »
Have you tried the CW MK4 in an Amiga?  I used one in my X1000 and it worked fine; after all, PC's are pieces of junk.

Offline spirantho

Re: WTB Catweasel Mk4 Plus floppy cable
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;782476
Have you tried the CW MK4 in an Amiga?  I used one in my X1000 and it worked fine; after all, PC's are pieces of junk.

I like to think AmigaOS 4 support is better these days than for the PC. :) Never used used mine on the PC though.

On the original Amiga drivers from Jens, the type of drive is implied by the format you use.  I.e. if you tell it to use the PC HD format, it assumes a 3.5" drive is fitted; if you tell it to use a C64 1541 format, it assumes a 5.25" drive is fitted.

The AmigaOS 4 version is actually more versatile as you can tell it via the prefs program what type you have exactly, so you can fit (for instance) an Amiga 3.5" drive,  or a Single-sided 40 track drive, or a 40 track 3" drive, or an 80 track 3.5" drive etc. etc. - I don't think Jens put this into the PC drivers, I believe it assumes the drive connected is a standard PC drive and just assumes the correct type is being used for the format that's being read or written.

Incidentally, on the OS4 driver even if you set the drive to be a 3.5" you can still write 5.25" formats to it, for example. The driver just sends the information, it has no idea what the actual drive is except what you told it in the prefs.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!