Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anybody Else Been Bloccked From Selling Goteks on Amiga?  (Read 613 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: Anybody Else Been "Blocked" From Selling Goteks on Amiga?
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 11, 2015, 01:59:30 AM »
1) The Goteks are still selling unrestricted on UK eBay.

2) The case for them (Gotek devices) doesn't fit A1200/600's so a 3D printed one would be "sweet."

3) If someone could do Amiga plastics (cases, case fronts, inserts) on a 3D printer they would make some fast money.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: Anybody Else Been Bloccked From Selling Goteks on Amiga?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:12 AM »
Ha, Yeah I've been thinking for quite a long time that I'd love to get a 3D printer so I could reprint retro-computer plastics.  Instead of having to attempt the whole retr0brite process, just print up a new part.

Not sure how you'd do keyboard keys and the like though.

Also, I'd need a printer large enough to do the A4000D front.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »
The keys can be found plenty of places, but the cost of a 3D printer large enough to do case parts would easily be recouped in a matter of weeks.

Or if someone could find a firm willing to do them, that would work too!

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »
Can't say I blame the creator of this if people are profiting, even to minuscule amounts, off his hard work.

The dude probably isn't making a dime off these, and has likely put hundreds is not thousands of hours into the code and hardware, so I don't begrudge him griping to ebay (assuming it was him that did the griping) if people are flogging off his hard work and making even minor profits while he's likely having a hard time even breaking even.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
Still, to contact US eBay and not UK eBay is odd (he appears to be located in France, just a Chunnel away).

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
Quote from: Duce;781479
Can't say I blame the creator of this if people are profiting, even to minuscule amounts, off his hard work.

The dude probably isn't making a dime off these, and has likely put hundreds is not thousands of hours into the code and hardware, so I don't begrudge him griping to ebay (assuming it was him that did the griping) if people are flogging off his hard work and making even minor profits while he's likely having a hard time even breaking even.

He could have sold them himself on Ebay, nothing was stopping him.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 04:45:57 AM »
One thing I don't see though, is why these devices get as bad a rap as they do. Sure they are no faster than a regular floppy, but on the other hand, with the right disk image, almost everything I've tested on it worked. It all mostly comes down to the Amiga's hardware, same as loading from floppy.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:49 AM »
Never bought Goteks through Ebay always found them over priced, picked mine up through Amibay.

Best bet would be to sell them there.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Dale

• Show only replies by Dale
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;781524
One thing I don't see though, is why these devices get as bad a rap as they do. Sure they are no faster than a regular floppy, but on the other hand, with the right disk image, almost everything I've tested on it worked. It all mostly comes down to the Amiga's hardware, same as loading from floppy.
I love these Gotek devices.  I found some that were flashed for Yamaha with shipping for around 18 bucks, so you just clear that out and reflash it.  I read were he did not want to sell them something about having to pay extra tax in his country, but he also did not like people selling them and making money off his work.  I am glad he is at least sharing his code.  These just save a lot of floppy abuse.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
True, I just don't see why he didn't offer to sell himself, unless of course it did have to do with his country's taxes (unfair trade).

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
A bit puzzling why he'd be uppity about US based ebay sales and not in other regions.  All I can think is there were far more sales going on in North America and/or people were charging unacceptable prices per the fellows standards that offended his sensibilities more than UK sellers prices.  Or perhaps the complainant simply hasn't got around to complaining to ebay about UK sales yet, who knows.  You'd think if someone was going to get offended about others selling their creations, even at a meager profit, it'd be a universal insult completely blind from any regions.

His right regardless, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:23:35 PM by Duce »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Quote from: Duce;781537
A bit puzzling why he'd be uppity about US based ebay sales and not in other regions.  All I can think is there were far more sales going on in North America and/or people were charging unacceptable prices per the fellows standards that offended his sensibilities more than UK sellers prices.  Or perhaps the complainant simply hasn't got around to complaining to ebay about UK sales yet, who knows.  You'd think if someone was going to get offended about others selling their creations, even at a meager profit, it'd be a universal insult completely blind from any regions.

His right regardless, I suppose.

Ironically the highest selling prices I noticed were in Spain $435, and yes people were buying...