Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?  (Read 668 times)

Description:

Offline Paulie85Topic starter

• Show only replies by Paulie85
Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
I can't get used to having a 1 button stick on the Amiga. I know that there are a few games that allow 2-button pads to be used but many (e.g. Turrican) rely on hitting the keyboard for various functions. Is there anything similar to Joy2key which would allow me to assign them to buttons on a joystick?

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
Re: Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
Quote from: Paulie85;775351
I can't get used to having a 1 button stick on the Amiga. I know that there are a few games that allow 2-button pads to be used but many (e.g. Turrican) rely on hitting the keyboard for various functions. Is there anything similar to Joy2key which would allow me to assign them to buttons on a joystick?

Thought it works both ways. They are currently using it in compilations on EAB for CD32.
They are mapping keyboard keys to cd32 buttons.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
Why not just solder a two button joystick so one button acts as up on the stick and also add a switch to turn off up on the stick? Done this to a lot of controllers :)

Quite practical for some games :)

Edit: If doing this to a gamepad don't forget to cut the trace for the button you will use :)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:50:19 PM by som99 »

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Think you misunderstood.
Games like Turrican 2 use space bar as second button.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Yeah, although having a button for jump would be nice I am really talking about games where you have to hit a key which is awkward.

I had a look at the CD32 project, it seems a really good idea. I'm not sure those games would work on my A500 though, looks like they are also doing some AGA stuff with those:(

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
I am about 99% certain Turrican 2 supports the second button on my Arcade Evolution joystick.  I'm not a huge gamer but a few other games I've tried do, as well.  Actually took some getting used to, since all I've ever had is one-button joysticks in the past.  Maybe you might want to discuss this project with AmigaKit, for their various new joystick models they're working on?

Nevermind, I'm sure they'll chime in on this thread soon enough.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
Quote from: Paulie85;775388
Yeah, although having a button for jump would be nice I am really talking about games where you have to hit a key which is awkward.

I had a look at the CD32 project, it seems a really good idea. I'm not sure those games would work on my A500 though, looks like they are also doing some AGA stuff with those:(

There was something like this on Aminet for Shapeshifter, but it also worked with everything else...

...can't recall what it was called though.

Anyhow, I NEVER understood why European game makers insist upon using the Space Bar instead of the second, third, fourth, etc. buttons that became available during the Amigas life time. Like wise, why in the hell would someone assign JUMP to the UP button is beyond me, and yet here we are with a great catalog of games, fully equipped with the most illogical control system one can imagine.

The game Myth suffers from this crap as well. :/ Love that game.... hate selecting weapons though.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
Anyhow, I NEVER understood why European game makers insist upon using the Space Bar instead of the second, third, fourth, etc. buttons that became available during the Amigas life time. Like wise, why in the hell would someone assign JUMP to the UP button is beyond me, and yet here we are with a great catalog of games, fully equipped with the most illogical control system one can imagine.

The game Myth suffers from this crap as well. :/ Love that game.... hate selecting weapons though.

I remember Amiga Format even had source code demonstrating how to utilise a megadrive pad when programming a game free on one of their coverdisks. It couldn't have been that difficult for developers to incorporate it into their own games.

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;775389
I am about 99% certain Turrican 2 supports the second button on my Arcade Evolution joystick.  I'm not a huge gamer but a few other games I've tried do, as well.  Actually took some getting used to, since all I've ever had is one-button joysticks in the past.  Maybe you might want to discuss this project with AmigaKit, for their various new joystick models they're working on?

Nevermind, I'm sure they'll chime in on this thread soon enough.  ;)

I picked the wrong example. As it does support second button.

Not going to chime in, as this thread is about something else. Best to keep it on topic.
I will check as joy2key should work for what you want.

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;775385
Think you misunderstood.
Games like Turrican 2 use space bar as second button.

Ops sorry I must have misunderstood a bit :)

Quote from: Paulie85;775388

Yeah having the up mapped at a button is lovely in tons of games :D
But yeah hitting a key is really awkward, especially when I like sitting on a sofa playing some feet away from the Amiga on a TV :/

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »
Quote from: som99;775459

Yeah having the up mapped at a button is lovely in tons of games :D
But yeah hitting a key is really awkward, especially when I like sitting on a sofa playing some feet away from the Amiga on a TV :/

In the good old days I used to get my little brother to sit by the Amiga with his hand hovering over the space bar whilst I used the joystick. I would give him a shout whenever I needed a smart bomb and he would hit it. Naturally, he got the blame whenever I lost a life for not hitting it in time.

Unfortunately, now that he's 31 I don't appear to have the same authority over him as he refuses to do it.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »
Quote from: Paulie85;775489
In the good old days I used to get my little brother to sit by the Amiga with his hand hovering over the space bar whilst I used the joystick. I would give him a shout whenever I needed a smart bomb and he would hit it. Naturally, he got the blame whenever I lost a life for not hitting it in time.

Unfortunately, now that he's 31 I don't appear to have the same authority over him as he refuses to do it.

Haha :D Clever one eh, I am quite sure I would have blamed my brother if I died in the same situation as you ;)

Why did I never think about this haha, my 10 year younger brother always watched me play back then, could have made use of him ;)