Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?  (Read 684 times)

Description:

Offline Paulie85Topic starter

• Show all replies
Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
I can't get used to having a 1 button stick on the Amiga. I know that there are a few games that allow 2-button pads to be used but many (e.g. Turrican) rely on hitting the keyboard for various functions. Is there anything similar to Joy2key which would allow me to assign them to buttons on a joystick?

• Show all replies
Re: Is there anything like Joy2key for Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Yeah, although having a button for jump would be nice I am really talking about games where you have to hit a key which is awkward.

I had a look at the CD32 project, it seems a really good idea. I'm not sure those games would work on my A500 though, looks like they are also doing some AGA stuff with those:(

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
Anyhow, I NEVER understood why European game makers insist upon using the Space Bar instead of the second, third, fourth, etc. buttons that became available during the Amigas life time. Like wise, why in the hell would someone assign JUMP to the UP button is beyond me, and yet here we are with a great catalog of games, fully equipped with the most illogical control system one can imagine.

The game Myth suffers from this crap as well. :/ Love that game.... hate selecting weapons though.

I remember Amiga Format even had source code demonstrating how to utilise a megadrive pad when programming a game free on one of their coverdisks. It couldn't have been that difficult for developers to incorporate it into their own games.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »
Quote from: som99;775459

Yeah having the up mapped at a button is lovely in tons of games :D
But yeah hitting a key is really awkward, especially when I like sitting on a sofa playing some feet away from the Amiga on a TV :/

In the good old days I used to get my little brother to sit by the Amiga with his hand hovering over the space bar whilst I used the joystick. I would give him a shout whenever I needed a smart bomb and he would hit it. Naturally, he got the blame whenever I lost a life for not hitting it in time.

Unfortunately, now that he's 31 I don't appear to have the same authority over him as he refuses to do it.