Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: GVP Spectrum  (Read 265 times)

Description:

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

WTB: GVP Spectrum
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
Almost had a heart attack tonight (not literally).  Went to fire my Amiga back up and got nothing - nothing on the screen and no hard drive activity.  Went through the usual troubleshooting procedures: remove all boards and try one at a time, etc.  Narrowed it down to my Spectrum card.  Cleaned the edge connector, removed and reseated the Mach chip (I knew I kept that PLCC chip puller around for a reason, haha) and it came back to life.

Card has always been a little flakey though.  Not in dire need, but does anyone have a spare GVP Spectrum they'd be interested in selling?  I hate hoarding but having one spare part probably won't make my OCD go too crazy.  ;)  Thanks!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
Re: WTB: GVP Spectrum
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving Mike!

Did you get the Spectrum to work with your Indivision ECS?  Which graphic package (Picasso96, etc) are you using with the Spectrum?

Offline Oldsmobile_MikeTopic starter

Re: WTB: GVP Spectrum
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 06:00:54 AM »
Quote from: Tenacious;778389
Happy Thanksgiving Mike!

Did you get the Spectrum to work with your Indivision ECS? Which graphic package (Picasso96, etc) are you using with the Spectrum?

Hi Tenacious!

After struggling with two different revisions of Picasso II for what felt like months, I found that the GVP Spectrum works perfectly with the Indivision ECS.  The Picasso just couldn't interpret the screenmode data it was putting out.  I've heard others have had more success, but AFAIR that might've been with IndivisionAGA.  Note that the Spectrum does require a proprietary 15-pin to 9-pin cable to connect its passthrough port.  I had some tips from Jens about modifying the Picasso cards to possibly work, but found the Spectrum solution before I had to try them out.

I'm running it with the latest version of Picasso96, available here:  http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Picasso96.htm

I'm always on the lookout for new/updated libraries, so snapped up that update to rtg.library as soon as it came out.  Still kinda new to RTG on classic systems, but this one has been working great!

Would still like to pick up a spare Spectrum card though, if anyone has one lying around?  This is the second time I've had to reseat the Mach chip.  Probably wouldn't hurt to have a spare...  ;)

Happy Thanksgiving back atcha, now to go pass out from food coma! :roflmao:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos