Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dual monitors?  (Read 10086 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Dual monitors?
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
Can MorphOS run dual monitors?

I have a Powermac G5 with a Radeon 9600 Pro and two LCDs that do the same resolutions, but aren't the same models.

I hooked them up with an adapter for the BS Apple connector and they each work individually, but when both are attached I only see the one with the adapter. I assume that's the primary head on the card.

Edit: Tried adding a PCI Radeon 7000, but now that monitor works and the AGP 9600 just turns on and stays gray. Still no good.

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:39:32 PM by Heiroglyph »

Offline Rob

Re: Dual monitors?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774888
Can MorphOS run dual monitors?

I have a Powermac G5 with a Radeon 9600 Pro and two LCDs that do the same resolutions, but aren't the same models.

I hooked them up with an adapter for the BS Apple connector and they each work individually, but when both are attached I only see the one with the adapter. I assume that's the primary head on the card.

AFAIK none of the Amiga OS's currently supported dual output from the same card.  OS4.x just displays the same image on both outputs but I don't know about the others.

Edit: Tried adding a PCI Radeon 7000, but now that monitor works and the AGP 9600 just turns on and stays gray. Still no good.

Thanks,
John

So with both cards plugged in it defaults to the 7000.  Do both cards appear in the monitor prefs?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Quote from: Rob;774895
AFAIK none of the Amiga OS's currently supported dual output from the same card.  OS4.x just displays the same image on both outputs but I don't know about the others.

I found information that said some old versions of MorphOS (2.x?) supported multiple monitors but used the screen depth gadget to switch input to them. Then they supposedly added moving the mouse freely between them at some point.

So with both cards plugged in it defaults to the 7000.  Do both cards appear in the monitor prefs?

No, I only see the monitor that is attached to the active card in monitor prefs with no obvious way to show more and in screens I only see the active screen.

I did find a reference that said MOS 2.x only suported multiple PCI cards, but that doesn't do me much good with one AGP and one PCI.

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
Did you create a new monitor driver in Devs/Monitors or whatever the MorphOS equivalent might be.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »
Quote from: Rob;774900
Did you create a new monitor driver in Devs/Monitors or whatever the MorphOS equivalent might be.

No, didn't think to try that, but I didn't have to do that for a single monitor.

I was hoping there were directions somewhere.

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:47:55 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774902
No, didn't think to try that, but I didn't have to do that for a single monitor.

I was hoping there were directions somewhere.

I think the OS is probably set up with people using one video output in mind.

It might be better to ask at Morphzone since I only have experience of using P96 and not CyberGraphX so the procedure would probably differ somewhat.

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
You can use dual monitor support with MorphOS, but it currently does not work using the same graphic card driver for both screens.

So you cannot use two radeons, as both use the same radeon driver. The resolution of the screen does not matter. Any combination will work, as long as it is supported by the used Graphics card.

I use a Voodoo3 PCI together with a Radeon9000 in a PowerMac G4, which works fine.

Geit

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
Quote from: Geit;774905
You can use dual monitor support with MorphOS, but it currently does not work using the same graphic card driver for both screens.

So you cannot use two radeons, as both use the same radeon driver. The resolution of the screen does not matter. Any combination will work, as long as it is supported by the used Graphics card.

I use a Voodoo3 PCI together with a Radeon9000 in a PowerMac G4, which works fine.

Geit

Ah, that sucks. These are the only two Mac video cards I own. I have PCI Nvidia and Voodoo cards, but they're for PC.

Any idea if they're working on that odd limitation?

Offline pVC

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
Hmm.. I thought it was more like OpenFirmware doesn't initialize several Radeons, only one, and that's why you'd need different cards, but I guess Geit knows better.

But anyway, basically every Amiga system supports several gfx cards (CGX and P96 on both classic and next gen). You just get screenmodes for each gfx card and you can select programs' prefs which mode (==card) they use. For example all MUI programs can freely be configured to use separate screens and almost all classic programs have screenmode settings. We've seen demonstrations of three PIV cards on three monitors on a single A4000 for example.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774906
Ah, that sucks. These are the only two Mac video cards I own. I have PCI Nvidia and Voodoo cards, but they're for PC.

Any idea if they're working on that odd limitation?

Voodoos don't have to be Mac-specific (AFAIR there never was a Mac Voodoo3) as that driver started on the GRex and does not reley on the card being prepped by OF/BIOS/whatever.

Problem is that there are still some PCI related issues with the G5 that make such combo only useable in G4 Macs.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;774913
Voodoos don't have to be Mac-specific (AFAIR there never was a Mac Voodoo3) as that driver started on the GRex and does not reley on the card being prepped by OF/BIOS/whatever.

Problem is that there are still some PCI related issues with the G5 that make such combo only useable in G4 Macs.

That's interensting. Would an AGP Voodoo 5 work in a G5?

Then I could use the PCI Radeon 7000 for the other head.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
It should work just as well as the other way round, but you may get lucky in avaoiding those PCI-issues.

Read, we will know after you tried.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Rob

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;774913

Looks like there was a Mac compatible BIOS even if the cards never shipped with them.

http://www.zone6400.com/Voodoo3.html

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;774915
It should work just as well as the other way round, but you may get lucky in avaoiding those PCI-issues.

Read, we will know after you tried.

One problem (besides the fact that I want my 9600 Pro) is that the Voodoo 5 needs a power connector that my G5 doesn't have. It only has SATA power connectors.

That's the reason I had to put my SCSI drives in an external box.

I guess I'll try one of the PCI Voodoo cards in a little while.

Offline esc

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
I've tried using an ATI AGP card with a voodoo 3 in a PCI slot (g5 pmac here) with no luck. It senses the voodoo 3, but when I launch a game (wipeout2097 for example) and select the voodoo 3 as the output, it "tries" to push an image to the other monitor via the voodoo but then freezes. This goes for any  number of things I tried pushing to the other screen. :(