Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)  (Read 5240 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;769751
I've only used spinrite on hard drives, never a usb stick. Not sure it works on those. It's commercial and made to recover from data loss due to physical problems like bad sectors, not so much undeleting or unformatting.

I believe drives have the equivalent functionality of spinrite built in these days, but he keeps managing to sell it.

It's a hotly debated topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ASpinRite#Disputed.3F

They claim that it can disable sector remapping on your hard drive during recovery, but there isn't a standard IDE command to do this. It's possible that it manages to do this on one drive (probably the one the programmer used) but as it was released in 2004 it's unlikely that it will do this on your hard drive.

I think it's unlikely that spinrite has a secret way of doing this that has really worked since 2004, that nobody (including the drive manufactures) knows about. If a technology like that existed then it would be in some open source software by now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:48:18 AM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Re: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Quote from: Duce;769822
I don't know how SR works exactly, but I can tell you this - I've had it bring seemingly dead drives back to life long enough to pull the full contents off the drives before all was lost, and it paid for itself in the first week I had it.

I can see you have faith in it but I can tell you that I've performed similar miracles without spinrite.