Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)  (Read 5145 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Data Recovery (formatted NTSC drive)
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 26, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »
Quote from: Duce;769745
I've had pretty good luck with Recuva.  For actual drive integrity problems and drive maintenance, I swear by Spinrite.

Spinrite added to my list of programs to try. I might as well make a comparison while I'm at it, unless of course during my testing I just find one that is PERFECT, then I'll quit and declair a king. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Plaz

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 06:18:49 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;769746
Spinrite added to my list of programs to try.

I've only used spinrite on hard drives, never a usb stick. Not sure it works on those.  It's commercial and made to recover from data loss due to physical problems like bad sectors, not so much undeleting or unformatting. I agree though, it is one of the best at what is does. If spinrite can't recover your data from a bad drive, I think the only option left is to ship your hardware to a place like ontrack.

Plaz

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;769751
I've only used spinrite on hard drives, never a usb stick. Not sure it works on those.  It's commercial and made to recover from data loss due to physical problems like bad sectors, not so much undeleting or unformatting. I agree though, it is one of the best at what is does. If spinrite can't recover your data from a bad drive, I think the only option left is to ship your hardware to a place like ontrack.

Plaz

First off, this is an external 4Tb USB drive, not just a USB Memory Stick. Secondly, it sounds like because of the size of my drive that Spinrite may not be able to work with it, and I didn't see anything about RAW support, as this drive never successfully re-formatted.

Again though, if all else fails, I'll at least give it a try. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline iondy

• Show only replies by iondy
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
Try Testdisk (same people as photorec) on a clone(!!) of your drive, it will scan the drive for MFT's (index) and may find something which you can then write back to the drive. It also has a bunch of other options worth learning and trying.

If that fails then try GetDataBack for NTFS and/or UFS explorer which will let you scan for partitions and do a raw scan.

You should always work on a clone of your drive unless you are feeling brave. ;)

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 07:35:15 AM »
GetDataBack from runtime.org is not free ($80) but VERY good at recovering filesystems.  I used GDB Simple to recover data from a bad RAID set for a Hyper-V server with full results, as well as a number of other desperate jobs.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;769751
I've only used spinrite on hard drives, never a usb stick. Not sure it works on those. It's commercial and made to recover from data loss due to physical problems like bad sectors, not so much undeleting or unformatting.

I believe drives have the equivalent functionality of spinrite built in these days, but he keeps managing to sell it.

It's a hotly debated topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ASpinRite#Disputed.3F

They claim that it can disable sector remapping on your hard drive during recovery, but there isn't a standard IDE command to do this. It's possible that it manages to do this on one drive (probably the one the programmer used) but as it was released in 2004 it's unlikely that it will do this on your hard drive.

I think it's unlikely that spinrite has a secret way of doing this that has really worked since 2004, that nobody (including the drive manufactures) knows about. If a technology like that existed then it would be in some open source software by now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:48:18 AM by psxphill »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
Like I said, I swear by Spinrite.  I use it extensively and am still surprised at how well it works.  That being said, it's not a data recovery program like Recuva.  I recently used it on a bunch of SSD's (level 2 mode, never any higher on an SSD with SpinRite) that were showing some signs of slowing down.  Worked great.  And yes, it will work on USB sticks/drives as well.

I don't know how SR works exactly, but I can tell you this - I've had it bring seemingly dead drives back to life long enough to pull the full contents off the drives before all was lost, and it paid for itself in the first week I had it.  I've likely used it on well over 100 drives over the years and with the exception of the one time I had to put a very mangled drive in the freezer while SR was running, it's worked flawlessly for me.  I use it so often I have a copy on USB key and CD right beside my Lian Li PC-T60B test bench machine.

Even had it bring my old 1 TB drive that croaked in my SAM when I first got it back to life.

Warning:  SpinRite is slow.  Very slow.  I'm extremely happy with it, though.  Some people have differing opinions, and that's why GRC has a 30 day money back guarantee on it.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
Well, I got tired of my slow laptop, and since installed a SSD in my fastest machine, so I stopped verything, migrated to the other machine and to USB3, finished the job in less than a day and GetDataBack seems to be the golden application. It found EVERYTHING and put it where it should all be.

I'd still like to take a stab at the free command line programs before I format the drive, just to see how well it does considering it is free.

Thanks all!

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
getdataback ntfs has recovered data many times for me, formatting doesn't actually clean the disk and the file table is still there.
The only two ways to erase data from a HDD is to use a program to write 0,1 all over it several times or pull the hard drive apart and melt the platters in a furnace. Or with most laptop HDD's have glass platters which you can smash with a screw driver :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline psxphill

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
Quote from: Duce;769822
I don't know how SR works exactly, but I can tell you this - I've had it bring seemingly dead drives back to life long enough to pull the full contents off the drives before all was lost, and it paid for itself in the first week I had it.

I can see you have faith in it but I can tell you that I've performed similar miracles without spinrite.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
I've tried other recovery/integrity software that wouldn't even touch problems that Spinrite had no issues at all fixing.

I do this for a part time living, so all that matters to me are results.  Given the other option, which is sending drives away to a professional data recovery service, I find Spinrite a very good, cheap option that's never steered me wrong.