Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New layout looks good...  (Read 4033 times)

Description:

Re: New layout looks good...
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 16, 2004, 03:30:51 PM »
Please e-mail me a screenshot from your machine as I simply don't understand your comments.  The fields for comments are varied by color and easily distinguishable.  The only thing I can think without seeing what you're complaining about is that you're running a browser so old that it doesn't understand TD bgcolor=

If that's the case, you need to upgrade your browser, as there is zero I can do to fix it.

Wayne

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 03:36:21 PM »
I think what's actually happening is the grey "bleeds in" from the side panels. That's what makes it look like one big block of grey, you might have noticed a similar effect with the grey scheme on the old site. The blue used to break it up more.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 03:40:22 PM »
I think what's actually happening is the grey "bleeds in" from the side panels. That's what makes it look like one big block of grey, you might have noticed a similar effect with the grey scheme on the old site. The blue used to break it up more.

But there are three VERY distinct shades of gray in use.

#dddddd
#eeeeee
#f7f7f7

Perhaps it's a "crappy video card" or low settings issue?  :)

Wayne

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 03:44:38 PM »
Wayne wrote:
Perhaps it's a "crappy video card" or low settings issue?  :)

Heh heh ;-) Well, we all perceive things differently...

I'm not going to say any more, I'll probably get yelled at.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »
Not yelling at all.  The problem is, 2004 is not the age of 16 color displays.  If you're running an antiquated browser which automatically translates everything to the magic 216 color palette, then yes, I can see the potential for a problem and "bleeding" colors.  

I'll see if I can find some sort of way to get around it without screwing it up for the rest of the people running modern computers.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 04:23:01 PM »
Wayne wrote:
Please e-mail me a screenshot from your machine as I simply don't understand your comments.  The fields for comments are varied by color and easily distinguishable.  The only thing I can think without seeing what you're complaining about is that you're running a browser so old that it doesn't understand TD bgcolor=

If that's the case, you need to upgrade your browser, as there is zero I can do to fix it.

I'd love to mail you, but I cannot access your personal information page where I can find your address. The site says I don't have access.

I can vouch for the fact that it has nothing to do with the quality of my video hardware. It is a GeForce 4 TI4200, running at optimum specs, in a 64K color mode. It could be a browser issue, as I'm using IE 5.5. But even that browser is not *that* antiquated. It could also be bad eyesight catching up on me, but I think there are plenty of regulars who match and exceed my 30 years.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 04:27:52 PM »
I'd love to mail you, but I cannot access your personal information page where I can find your address. The site says I don't have access.
This is an issue we're both aware of, and working on, but wayne@ shouldn't be that difficult to decipher. :-)

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »
A few points:

The brown/orange/blue graphic at the top of the main page looks a bit uncool 70s.  What was wrong with the old blue logo?  In fact, the main page doesn't even have a heading - there nothing to tell new visitors they've reached amiga.org, unless they look in the window's titlebar.

When I was typing a long comment in over the space of an hour (was doing other stuff too), when I clicked submit I found it had logged me out!  There was no way of getting back the message I was typing either.  The old site used to leave me logged in all day.

The fonts on all the pages are far too big, and many are different styles - on some pages there is Arial mixed in with Times New Roman.  For example, on this "post reply" page the "Disable Smiley", "Attach Signature, "
"Notify me of new posts in this thread" checkbox labels are in different fonts to the labels on the form buttons.

The quote/url/link icons are not obvious what they do.

There is a 0.5cm black border around the edge of the page, when a page is loading (before any content appears) the page is all black.  The change in colour is a bit disconcerting.

The site is too wide for 800x600 screen res.  AW.net and MZ, other XOOPS sites look fine with 800x600.

Just trying to be constructive.... sorry if there're any mistakes in this - I had to speed-type it in case it logs me out again!

Offline smithy

• Show only replies by smithy
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 05:07:37 PM »
Oh - and when you click on a forum you get a list of threads in it.  On this page in the old amiga.org the information was nicely laid out in a tabular format, but now it's lumped together in a format that makes it more difficult to quickly scan through.

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 06:30:57 PM »
@Smithy
There is some info that you ought to read in the news item  about the upgrad. I'm too lazy to post a link.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 07:10:20 PM »
These are not bugs.  These are simple things that have been addressed many times.