Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Parts for Amiga 4000  (Read 1335 times)

Description:

Offline amigakidTopic starter

• Show only replies by amigakid
Parts for Amiga 4000
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:06:35 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can order some caps for an Amiga 4000 CPU card. I been restoring my Amiga and under magnification two caps on the CPU card has leaked and caused a little disruption to surrounding chips.  I think if I can replace these and clean it up I can get her running again.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
Re: Parts for Amiga 4000
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;769465
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can order some caps for an Amiga 4000 CPU card. I been restoring my Amiga and under magnification two caps on the CPU card has leaked and caused a little disruption to surrounding chips.  I think if I can replace these and clean it up I can get her running again.

The English Amiga Board hardware support section (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20) probably already has all the information you need if you search. Some of the surface mount caps on the A3640 cards were backwards out of the factory which made them prone to leaking. You will want to correct their orientation. If you have questions about buying caps then you may want to give your location. You will find a huge amount of information on caps over there though. Good luck.

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
@kid
You can buy the caps at amigkit...they sell a kit of the correct type...of course
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1182

and for all the info on the recap see http://amiga.serveftp.net/A3640_capacitor.html

m
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:59:55 AM by SACC-guy »

Offline mechy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

Some traces run under the caps in certain places, be sure to check for continuity on the traces before soldering the new caps on. Its not uncommon for a eaten trace on 3640 boards to cause it to be "dead". Many times the trace will look ok to the naked eye. Be sure and replace replace all the caps.
Check for correct polarity as many A3640's had some caps in backward.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for the information, this is more than helpful and I am excited to be able to continue on with my A4000 project.  Maybe I'll post pics of before and after once I have finished and get her up and running fuly

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:58 AM »
Thanks all again.  I just ordered the CAPS from Amigakit.  Been a while since I ordered from them and didn't know they carried them.  I'll update you on the progress aftter they arrive.  For now I will remove all the caps from the board and clean it up good