Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS dilemma  (Read 5751 times)

Description:

Offline LurchTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
OS dilemma
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
Well I installed a 9800pro in my Pegasos ii today, wow. 2d looks fantastic under AmigaOS4.1.

AmigaOS detects it correctly even states 9800 in the title, unlike the 9200 which kept coming up as the 9250.

Issue no 3d which I knew, so thought I'd boot into MorphOS. Wow, new experience. Fast booting, 3d works fine (no warp3d but meh).

MorphOS actually detected the 9800 and I could get the correct screen resolutions unlike the 9200 I was using.

But now the problem, I love the look and feel of OS4 over MorphOS. I find it easier to you use.

So I'm going to attempt to theme it like OS4, why? Because driver wise/speed wise MorphOS is better.

Don't like stating that as I'm a huge fan of OS4 but I'm finding progress a little slow. The 98000pro is a fantastic card and should be supported.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline develin

Re: OS delemma
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Ken Lester has done a couple of themes for MorphOS inspired by OS4.
"OFour" and "FourOne" if you like that style better.

Offline LurchTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
Thanks Develin will give it a go :)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline danbeaver

Re: OS dilemma or not
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
I personally find the OS4.1 Experience to be greater than MorphOS:  It is highly configurable and MorphOS is not.  MorphOS seems more Macintosh-like in its firm control over the OS look and feel.  More Amiga programs run on it, more documentation exists for it, and it runs on real Amiga hardware (and NG hardware).  MorphOS as a Mac platform, is a fine product but it is not the same sense of freedom as I experience with the Amiga and with OS4.1; while I am sure great advances will be achieved in dual core support and 3D graphics with OS4.2, I will be happy to wait and use 4.1 to the best of its abilities.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;766205
...driver wise/speed wise MorphOS is better.

Don't like stating that as I'm a huge fan of OS4 but I'm finding progress a little slow. The 98000pro is a fantastic card and should be supported.

Talk to your developers, we do.
That is why we have R300 drivers (and R400 drivers).

Come to think of it, I know the guys that wrote those.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:02:09 PM by eliyahu »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Well I installed a 9800pro in my Pegasos ii today, wow. 2d looks fantastic under AmigaOS4.1.

AmigaOS detects it correctly even states 9800 in the title, unlike the 9200 which kept coming up as the 9250.

Issue no 3d which I knew, so thought I'd boot into MorphOS. Wow, new experience. Fast booting, 3d works fine (no warp3d but meh).

MorphOS actually detected the 9800 and I could get the correct screen resolutions unlike the 9200 I was using.

But now the problem, I love the look and feel of OS4 over MorphOS. I find it easier to you use.

So I'm going to attempt to theme it like OS4, why? Because driver wise/speed wise MorphOS is better.

:)

Welcome to the world of MorphOS, Lurch!

Well, as you obviously have begun to find out yourself already, MorphOS is indeed very feature complete and quite advanced. And if you invest some time to fully "dig down" in MorphOS (beyond those first glances), you will find that there is no Amiga operating system existing on this planet that can compete with MorphOS, I *promise* you this! And if your "OS dilemma" mostly is about *the look of things*, then the choice is given, heck, as others have already said, you can easily make MorphOS look pretty much any way you like, and there are several themes copying the looks of OS4, if that would make your life better!

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :cool:

As you are about to find out yourself! ;)

Again, welcome! And if you decide to purchase a license of MorphOS, don't forget to post your serial number in the "MorphOS Counter" thread over at MZ.info! ;)

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »
Dumb question, but what are the benefits of 3D on an Amiga?  Faster window opening?  Better performance in the handful of games that support it?
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;769033
MorphOS as a Mac platform, is a fine product but it is not the same sense of freedom as I experience with the Amiga and with OS4.1

MorphOS as a mac platform?? MorphOS run on many ppc macs, efika, Pegasos, 1.4 on real amigas with PPC... is not a "mac platform".
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:03:29 PM by eliyahu »
a1200 060

Offline Hans_

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;769044
The only progress I see is A-eon/AmigaKit founded development, and that is solely Radeon HD focused. And after a couple of *years*, this has (recently) resulted in drivers with 2D acceleration.

If by "recently" you mean "several years ago," then yes, Radeon HD drivers with full 2D support came "recently." Even full 2D acceleration for Radeon HD 7xxx series cards has been available for about 2 years.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;769050
Dumb question, but what are the benefits of 3D on an Amiga?  Faster window opening?  Better performance in the handful of games that support it?

It allows you to run 3D apps/games. Yes, this is mostly about games, but apps like Blender also need 3D drivers.

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;769057
MorphOS as a mac platform?? MorphOS run on many ppc macs, efika, some SAMs, Pegasos, 1.4 on real amigas with PPC... is not a "mac platform".

True, but it feels just as confined and limited as a mac; it doesn't feel like I'm using an Amiga, just something else that I have no control over.  Perhaps it is the lack of documentation or the lack of 29 years experience in the number and depth of programs available.

Offline danbeaver

It is spelled, "Dilemma"
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:18 AM »
Yes, seriously.  And who gave you permission to attack me personally?

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:18:40 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;769062
True, but it feels just as confined and limited as a mac; it doesn't feel like I'm using an Amiga, just something else that I have no control over.  Perhaps it is the lack of documentation or the lack of 29 years experience in the number and depth of programs available.

What kind of documentation you are looking for?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 02:25:32 AM »

You are going to need three different sets:

* OS4 themed icons
 * Window decorations looking like OS4
 * MUI theme looking like OS4

Klesterj created bunch of OS4 themed icons years ago but it is incomplete since new programs were added after that.

Offline itix

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »
Quote from: yssing;769073
MorphOS is a much amiga as Windows is.

Speaking of Windows... when I had Linux at home (not anymore, PC was disposed) I had KDE themed to look like Windows 2000.