Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS: Support for Mac internal WiFi coming, BT's wanted!  (Read 3125 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
MorphOS: Support for Mac internal WiFi coming, BT's wanted!
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
The "Atheros 5k MorphOS wifi support" thread over at MorphZone.info just had an interesting turn, following post #116, which showed this screendump on April 1st (of all dates). A clarification was just posted there, stating the following:

"Well, this was definitely no April Fools' joke. I am currently working on the internal WiFi driver for the MorphOS 3.6 release.
I originally considered to launch some early bird user tester program for Easter which every registered user could apply to although our policy usually is that we don't release anything in advance before a full MorphOS update release. On a second thought, I considered that this requires some expertise regarding MorphOS and this should probably be limited to the more experienced users.
Anyway, as some sort of Easter MorphOS gift and to acknowledge the registration of MorphOS even without internal Wifi support, any registered MorphOS user who can actually make use of the internal b43 wifi may write some email to b43beta@morphos-team.net to apply for b43 driver testing to MorphOS Team. Please be aware that we still might reject your application and you might have to wait until MorphOS 3.6 is finally released, last but not least we have to limit the number of testers to a reasonable amount.

Also be aware that this is supposed to be some early bird testing, so if you don't feel comfortable with any sort of testing of new software, better wait for the final release and don't apply !"

So, the good news is that internal WiFi support is scheduled for the upcoming MorphOS 3.6, but right now every registered user with *relevant* HW who also possess the experience/knowledge enough to actually beta-test WiFi drivers, is welcome to *apply* (for which you can also be denied, as stated above) to an early bird testing program!

Relevant HW in this case is "AirPort Extreme" or "AirForce One 54g":

"You can use showconfig for example to check if a supported Broadcom card shows up in the boards section, it should be one of Vendor $14E4, either Device $4320 or Device $4318."
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: MorphOS: Support for Mac internal WiFi coming, BT's wanted!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:28:54 AM »
This applies to:

- eMac: all
- iBook G4: all
- PowerBook G4 Aluminium: all
- Mac mini G4: all
- PowerMac G4: FW800
- PowerMac G5: all

Source
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:34:03 AM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:14:14 AM »
Well, that is some welcome news.
Sounds like 3.6 is going to be even better than I was led to believe (and that was already damned good).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:30:34 AM »
Makes me want a laptop all of a sudden. And I already own 2... though none running the lovely MorphOS.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Templario

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
Well, I shall wait this driver!
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9